bmcman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

BSOD on Windows 7 64bit

Have both FE and BE access mdb on Server(yes, FE should be on clients, but has worked this way for years). Now trying clients with Windows 7 64 bit with Access 2010 32 bit. When accessing FE, if xp user is in the DB, Blue Screen Of Death occurs, which then corrupts the FE and sometimes the BE DB. I am on machine as admin, some others are not.

BSOD appears to happen when app performs DAO write to log table - but only if others are in the DB. Again, this has been working fine with XP/2003 and XP/2007 clients. Using mapped linked tables from FE to BE.

Anyone had similar issues or know of any special settings required by Win 7?

Any advice appreciated.

dugutigi is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

BSOD on Windows 7 64bit

bmcman,

I'm experiencing the same thing. Did you ever find a work-around or solution? Thanks.

boblarson is offline --------
    The solution -

Give EACH USER a copy of the frontend. Do NOT run a single frontend file from a network location. That is one sure way to have problems.

Access 2010 instability

Thanks Bob. I already have the front end on the C drive. I have users accessing the back end tables from Access 2003 and 2010 front ends simultaneously. The backends are obviously in MDB format. I think it's the two different versions of Access linking to the same tables that causes the instability. Some users get the blue screen of death in the Win7/Access 2010 environment.

Quote Originally Posted by dugutigi View Post
    Thanks Bob. I already have the front end on the C drive. I have users accessing the back end tables from Access 2003 and 2010 front ends simultaneously. The backends are obviously in MDB format. I think it's the two different versions of Access linking to the same tables that causes the instability. Some users get the blue screen of death in the Win7/Access 2010 environment.
    There is no reason why different versions would conflict. But, there could be a reason why the Win7/Access 2010 people might have a problem. If Win7 SP1 or Office 2010 SP1 is installed then the file needs to be recompiled on a machine which has SP1 (either) so that the ADO registry keys are correctly used by the frontend. If you have an ADO reference checked and compile on a non Win7 SP1 or non Office 2010 SP1 machine then put it on one that does have it, (or vice-versa) then it will crash Access.

bmcman is offline Novice
    My issue was related to Novell on WIN7 - I set the cache off on each client and that did the trick. We changed our network to AD since then, so no issues with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcman View Post
    My issue was related to Novell on WIN7 - I set the cache off on each client and that did the trick. We changed our network to AD since then, so no issues with that.
    Interesting. I'll have to try to keep that in mind for someone to check if they are experiencing the same issue. Thanks for posting back.

BSOD on Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by bmcman View Post
    WOW! BRILLIANT! This solved my issue. I have both Novell and Windows Servers in my organization right now. The problem was only happening on the Novell servers but I didn't realize it. Those users are no longer experiencing the Blue Screen of Death.

Why would the file caching cause the BSOD??? I'm afraid that goes beyond my knowledge base. Regardless ... I'm very grateful for this solution. I would never have figured that one out on my own. Thank you so much.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.