Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hrtlover is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Summing Sums in records...?

Hi!
    I've been trying to work on a database for a company that wants to keep track of Hours worked by the employees... without purchasing something like MYOB.

I have nearly completed the database, and as i was completing the final step, The reports. I wanted to add something that would calculate the hours for the record.. and then proceed to another record. and then at the end add up all the hours into a final sum that the employee had worked for the week.

I have worked out the way to add up for the one record. but how do you add it over multiple records.. If this makes sense?

I have attached a screen shot that might give more of an idea if it doesn't give a clear idea..

Thanks heaps!!!!

Brad

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Since you want to have a sum for each employee, you have to add a grouping level based on the employee field. You will need a footer for that group and within the footer you would put a control for the employee's sum.

llyon is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If the control for your record total is named HoursWorked, then in the footer for the group add a text box and set the control source to:

=Sum(HoursWorked)

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the response.

=sum(hoursWorked) (in both DateWorked footer and FirstName footer)was the first thing i tried... It asks for a parameter. :\
    Any other suggestions?
    cheers
    Brad.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    What is the actual name of the control that holds the hours worked value in the detail section of the report?

Alternatively, could you post a copy of your database with any sensitive data remove?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Sorry for the late reply.

Here is the file, Work your magic !!

thanks
    Brad.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrtlover View Post
    Sorry for the late reply.

Here is the file, Work your magic !!

thanks
    Brad.
    Sorry! whilst i remember it, its report 2 that is the most up-to-date one.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    The reason you could not get a sum is because of the format() function you used on the hours worked value. In adding the format, you converted the value to a text value and you cannot sum a text value.

Just a word about dates in Access. Access stores dates as a number with the integer portion representing the number of days since 12/31/1899. The decimal part of the number is used for the time, and represents the fraction of a day. For example, the date/time of 4/9/2011 11:00:00 PM is actually stored by Access as the number 40642.9583333333

What you basically have to do is find the difference between the start and finish times in minutes using the datediff() function and then divide by 60 to get the number of hours worked. You can then add up those hours. To display the value as xx:yy, you will need another control that is based on the hours determined. The short time format will not work on the hours you calculate, so you basically have to do the conversion.

The other thing is that you have to take in to account when someone starts work on one day and ends on the next (i.e. third shift) since you are storing only the start date and not the finish date. Since the finish time will be less than the start time, the datediff() function will not calculate the hours correctly. You will end up with a negative number that basically is equivalent to the hours that were not worked in a 24 hour period, so you have to add 24 hours to this negative value to get the actual hours worked. To solve this you have to check to see if the finish time is less than the start time by way of the IIF() function.

The other thing I noticed in your report was that you were grouping by first name. If two employees have the same first name; their hours will be grouped together. It is better to group by the employee ID field since this value should be unique to the employee.

In the attached database, I have made the necessary modifications. I also added a couple of controls that display the time worked (xx:yy format) and the sum of the time worked . BTW, what were you planning on displaying if the total time worked exceeded 24 hours? zz:xx:yy? where zz is the number of days, xx is the number of hours and yy is the number of minutes.

Windows XP Access 2003
    jzwp11,

You are god!

Thanks a million for fixing that for me, i never would've worked out how to do that.. and i was messing around with DateDiff.:\

Also, thanks for explaining it, i might have to read it a few times to understand it (tomorrow as im 3/4 asleep right now :P)

But thanks a million!!

Brad

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrtlover View Post
    You are god!
    jz,

You're God!! Does that title come with fries?? Does it come with "MVP" perhaps??

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    You are welcome. BTW, not god, I remember seeing something similar before.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Actually, just a quick question, i forgot to add in there, that i need to remove a half an hour for a 'break' time for each record. What would be the easiest way to do this? a checkbox on the form? would that include another IIF statement? :| I wish i had've thought of this before.. sorry

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Does the break time vary depending on the time worked?

You would have to alter this expression as well as the one in the group footer.

This is what is currently in the hoursworked control:
    =IIf([workfinnishtime]<[workstarttime],24+DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])/60,DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])/60)

You can subtract 30 minutes as follows:
    =IIf([workfinnishtime]<[workstarttime],24+(DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])-30)/60,(DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])-30)/60)

Or you can subtract 0.5 hours as follows:
    =IIf([workfinnishtime]<[workstarttime],23.5+DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])/60,(DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])/60)-0.5)

Windows XP Access 2003
    It will be done on a hourly basis. for every 5.5 hours worked, you lose .5 a hour in pay for a break..

Does that complicate things?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Well, it changes things since we cannot simply subtract 0.5 hours like I showed in my previous post; we have to account for any hours worked that are multiples of 5.5, so if someone works less than 5.5 hours they do not get the 0.5 hours subtracted, if the hours worked is less than 11 but greater than or equal to 5.5, then 0.5 hours is subtracted. If the hours worked is greater than or equal to 11 but less than 16.5 then 1 hour is subtracted and so on. In a terms of a general expression, this is what is needed

adjusted hours worked= hoursworked-(int(hoursworked/5.5)*0.5)

Doing this in the detail section of the report is accomplished by adding another control for the adjusted hours worked. However, doing it in the group footer will get messy since you have to substitute the actual expression for hours worked into the adjusted hours expression which will look like this:

=Sum(IIf([workfinnishtime]<[workstarttime],24+DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])/60,DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])/60)-(Int((IIf([workfinnishtime]<[workstarttime],24+DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])/60,DateDiff("n",[workStartTime],[workFinnishTime])/60))/5.5)*0.5))

I've attached the amended database

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.