Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Distributing Access 2010 database.

Hi,

I've got a really simple Access 2010 database app [not Web] that I want to distribute and I have a few questions about that.

I am still working on a few features of the app and expect that I will be for a couple of months while it is being used.

Right now - my users all have MS Access 2010 and are using that to open the database. I don't expect any of them to know how to open in design mode - or have the time to play around as they are always really busy with other work.

But . . .
    1. What is the easiest way for me to deploy so that users cannot get into design mode?
    2. Is there a preferred method - other than the easiest way?

I just tried using the 'Make ACCDE' option and got this error message:
    Microsoft Access was unable to create the .accde, .mde, or .ade file.
    This error is usually associated with compiling a large database into an MDE file. Because of the method used to compile the database, a considerable number of TableID references are created for each table. The Access database engine can only create a maximum of 2048 open TableIDs at one time. Exporting a database as an MDE potentially can exceed this limit if the database has a large number of objects (table, macro, form, report, etc).
    There is no accurate method to estimate the number of TableIDs the Access database engine uses during the process of compiling a database as an MDE. However, each VBA module and each form uses one TableID, as a result, if the database has 500 forms, and each form's HasModule property is set to Yes, as many as 1,000 TableIDs are used.
    It's a small database - and there are only 6 Forms and 5 tables [with very little data in them right now . . .

I have tried following some other methods [splitting the database is one] and am not sure which one I should focus on.

I'd prefer they don't have the ability to get into design mode. And I like the idea of the data being in a separate location so I can just distribute the changes as and when I make them.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Robin

timmy is offline Advanced Beginner
    Well theres no safe way to ensure people cant open forms in design view, however you can hide the ribbons and navigation bar.

For the ribbons, put this behind the switchboard (if you dont use a switchboard, put it behind every form, or the first form that will be loaded):

Code:

Private Sub Form_Load()
    DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Ribbon", acToolbarNo
    End Sub
    To hide the navigation bar, click file, click options, select current database, untick "Display navigation pane".

When you need to make changes etc. Hold down shift when opening the database, this will temporarily show the ribbons and navigation pane.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Thanks, Timmy!

I've just found another way that works on my machine. I created a shortcut to the database and then added " /runtime" to the Target line. That opens up the database with only my startup form - and no way to get to any of the objects etc. Of course - if anyone WANTED to - they could just go to the server and open directly from there. The good thing is I don't expect anyone to want to try that.

I think this might work for me for now because it is such a small app.

Meanwhile, thanks for your suggestions and I hope I get a few more suggestions here.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Well theres no safe way to ensure people cant open forms in design view
    Really?? How about deploying a runtime package?? What about shutting off the "shortcut menu" property in forms?? I wouldn't say that quote's entirely accurate!

timmy is offline Advanced Beginner
    good to see you sorted it out Robeen.

I wouldn't say that quote's entirely accurate!
    Sorry, it was badly worded. I meant that if someone really wanted to open a form in design view, they probably could with enough know-how. Altho i could be wrong.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.