everette is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Probably a Strange thing to ask

I'm trying to append the information from one table to another table multiple times to simulate work days in a period of time.
    What I'm trying to do: I have a database for checking out equipment. I can determine what is checked out or not checked out for a day, but I'm trying to do it for a month, week, 2 weeks or any other period of time.
    I can collect the checked out equipment for a period of time but cannot or I'm unable to figure out how to obtain the names of the equipment not checked out.
    I have a table with all the information for each piece of equipment in it. My thoughts are that if I append it to another table the number of times the number of days in the period. I could link the table with the equipment that is checked out and the appended table to get the difference.

Any ideas, Any help. I'm stuck.
    Not much of a programmer.
    Thanks
    Everette

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Just read your post.
    I don't understand your
    My thoughts are that if I append it to another table the number of times the number of days in the period. I could link the table with the equipment that is checked out and the appended table to get the difference.
    You say
    I have a table with all the information for each piece of equipment in it
    So I think the underlying issue is

(All Equipment) - (CheckedOut Equipment) = (Equipment NotCheckedOut)

or putting a time period into the mix

(All Equipment) - (Equipment CheckedOut Before Time Period) -(Equipment CheckedOut During the TimePeriod) = (Equipment NotCheckedOut During the Time Period)

I think you're going to need a Transaction Table that identifies

who
    did what(CheckedOut)
    which equipment
    when (on what day)
    for how long

and another transaction for CheckedIn

who
    did what(CheckedIn)
    which equipment
    when (on what day)

You will probably (eventually) need another transaction type that will deal
    with shrinkage. (That's when equipment or inventory goes missing for whatever reason). Often needed to reconcile issues when "a physical inventory check is done".

Hope these thoughts are useful.

everette is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    When someone checks out the equipment it goes into a table and I'm able to look at the data. The problem is when the equipment is not checked out it is not in the table.
    I have a table with all the equipment in the table. It shows the equipment id, the owner, etc.
    I cannot figure out how to tell what is not checked out over a period of time. I can tell for one day because everything is only checked out one time for each day. But over multiple days, There a multiple check outs and multiple days. If I were able to run the daily report each day and append to a table that would be great, but I'm not always able to run the report for each day.
    Hopefully this helps make it a little more clear.

Thanks for your help.
    Everette

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    The problem is when the equipment is not checked out it is not in the table

I think this is saying you have some manual/semi automated human procedural issues.

Companies take a physical equipment inventory to reconcile what they think they have and what they really have. They use the process to "cleanse" human procedures and related tasks and responsibilities, and to ensure the status of their inventory is "correct" as of that date.

You need to record DateIn and DateOut and have some form of receipt or signature (if the equipment or the inventory of equipment is that important). No exceptions that allow equipment to be checkedOut but not in the Table.

[That's what I was getting at with "shrinkage" in my last post]

This doesn't appear to be a database issue primarily, BUT a human/procedural lack of discipline. Maybe I'm missing something, but the best table and database design is not going to solve a procedural problem.

See this link for a data model of possible use to you.

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...sets/index.htm
    Last edited by orange; 03-26-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: added a link

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.