mugatea is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Could do with some Access help.

Hi, my name is Jamie and I've just joined. I'm not a web developer by trade but have made some basic websites and have been offered the chance by a friend to build a website for the business he works at. He works for a regional employment firm and therefore need a site which can have job vacancies on the site and a search of those jobs. A database is the only thing I can think off.

Now, I've never made anything like that, I've only made a few basic websites so this is complicated but it would be great to do and I've learnt loads as I try to make this. To begin with i tried MySql but couldnt get my head around it and yesterday downloaded a trial version of Access but am very much struggling to learn how to use that too.

I've looked thru all the Access templates and tried modifying some but they were just to different to what I want. I would like a search box that has a keyword catergory, location menu, etc and when the results are listed I can then click on a job that will then (ideally) load up a pop screen showing a full description of that job.

So any tips on doing this and is it worthwhile doing this on access or is there better software out there?

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    ummm...they're a regional firm?? "regional"....as in what exactly?? what's a region? All the regional firms that I know of in this country already have this setup. And furthermore, most of them get it setup before they even officially go into business.

All job boards use databases. Huge ones, that is. And the coding is not something that anyone but professional programmers should really attempt, if you want my opinion. Clearly, because that type of complexity is always there, it will always be resourcefully cheaper to hire someone to do it.

First of all, there are no tips to give because it's too tough. My tip to you would be to hire someone to do it, markup the cost at a small percentage, and charge your company the difference so you at least get some value out of the work you did.

If you have no experience with online databases, my guess would be that it would take you at least a year, and probably more, to learn everything, set it up the way they want it, and get a check. And that's speaking aggressively.

I have probably 80% of the knowledge to do it right now, but have never done it, and I would give myself about 3-4 months to get something like that done to where it was presentable to a client and/or operable.

And again, you might try searching google for program already written that will do this for you. If you love working with interfaces that manipulate back ends directly, I would recommend apps like Joomla and Drupal. Drupal still has bugs crawling around in it, and it's forums are kind of annoying to read and get help from. Joomla however, IMO, is a great product and easy to work with, if you like user-friendly control panel interfaces.

mugatea is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Firstly thanks for your reply.

I've been trying out Access all day and am giving up on it for the moment and am currently trying word press to see how that does.

mmm...they're a regional firm?? "regional"....as in what exactly??
    They're regional as in they serve a small part of Scotland. Their 'old' site has around 20-30 jobs max, and the new one shouldn't have much more.

f you have no experience with online databases, my guess would be that it would take you at least a year, and probably more, to learn everything, set it up the way they want it, and get a check. And that's speaking aggressively.
    Unfortunately I don't have a year, I have till Wednesday to show them a working example of the website I'm working on. Even tho I have no 'job search' facility made yet I'm still confidant I can make something up.....somehow. Just have to keep pressing.

thanks again

Jamie

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Wordpress is OK, as it's similar to Joomla and Drupal both.

With a WED deadline, you certainly won't be able to manipulate the PHP files that run Wordpress, but I'm sure the CP is simple. Or at least, easy.

good luck with it!

RRS415 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Jamie,

Have you considered watching some of the videos that are available for the templates like this one Video: Use the Assets Web Database template. You might be able to use a drop down list for selectiion of keyword and then link it to the page or doc with the job diescription. Hope this helps.
    RRS415

RRS415 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Have you tried the template videos?

Hi,

Wondering if you've tried seeing if any of the template videos might help with your design query. For example the Video: Use the Assets Web Database template.
    Best wishes,
    RRS415

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.