Walkinglucid is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Help Me Build My Real Estate Database (Please)

So I'm creating a database for my real estate company and I need some help.

1. I have three forms within a navigation form. The problem is that when ever I switch from my "add listing" form to any other form, it always asks me to save changes. It only does this for this specific form. How do I stop this?

2. I'm trying to create a search query form to search by, lets say, Number of Beds, or Number of Baths, or Rent, - I guess im looking to make a filter search within a split form. How do I go about adding this filter with these filter options?

3. I want to integrate Google Maps with in each rental listing - How do I add it in the form so that when I select an address, google maps automaticly adjusts to its location?

Thanks!

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkinglucid View Post

1. I have three forms within a navigation form. The problem is that when ever I switch from my "add listing" form to any other form, it always asks me to save changes. It only does this for this specific form. How do I stop this?

Thanks!
    I don't know what you mean by "within a navigation form". Do you mean subforms? And how are you switching?

Why not just load each of the 3 forms separately, but one after another, so all 3 are loaded?

Kathy
    I.T. Consultant/Computer Science Instructor

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I think you should spend some time on the Tables and fields you will need, and how they are related.
    There are some existing models here that may be of some help to you.
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "within a navigation form". Do you mean subforms? And how are you switching?

Why not just load each of the 3 forms separately, but one after another, so all 3 are loaded?

Kathy
    I.T. Consultant/Computer Science Instructor
    Kathy,

In Access 2010 there is a new navigation form feature. It is used as a switchboard form. It allows you to create a very nice looking UI.

Credit: screenshot made with Snagit 10

2. I'm trying to create a search query form to search by, lets say, Number of Beds, or Number of Baths, or Rent, - I guess im looking to make a filter search within a split form. How do I go about adding this filter with these filter options?

3. I want to integrate Google Maps with in each rental listing - How do I add it in the form so that when I select an address, google maps automaticly adjusts to its location?

Thanks!

Everything you are asking is possible. I do it now.

I do not know what you are getting the prompt to save changes unless you are running a macro or VBA that is causing the prompt. are you trying to force the save of the record?

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'll post an attachment to the DB I'm making - maybe you guys can help me work out the kinks.

Right now, I cant get the navigation form it to size properly. I want it all to fit on one page and all the forms to be centered. But that's not a huge deal right now.

On the add listings form, I added a box for pictures but I don't know how to go about adding pictures to each listing and get them to show up in the box. Plus, where would they be saved in the database? (I want what was in that database Kathy attached)

I'm also trying to create a search form where you can search by landlord or by rent price or number of beds/baths ect. How do I go about this as well?

Password for the database is Peekaboo.

P.s. I fixed the save as pop up thing. And I think I'm going to nix the google map thing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Walkinglucid; 03-18-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: I needed to add more info

Nevermind! I figured it out. Thanks guys!

Now my only issue is this:

How do I upload this database online so that all the real estate agents can use it and add to it?

Nevermind! I figured it out. Thanks guys!

Now my only issue is this:

How do I upload this database online so that all the real estate agents can use it and add to it?
    The standard Access database is a LAN based, Rich/Thick client, multiple user systems. A accdb/accde will not run in a web browser.

Did you create a web database? If you did then you can publish it to a Sharepoint site.

In Access 2010 the only built-in method for putting a Access 2010 application on the web is by creating an Access 2010 web database and publishing it to a Sharepoint Server site. You can publish your Access 2010 web database to the Sharepoint site for others to use via a web browser.

Do you have a Sharepoint site on the the internet?

I also have this article:Running an Access database over the internet
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 03-23-2011 at 04:55 PM.

So there is no way to get my database online?

There must be a way to put my database on my website.

So there is no way to get my database online?

There must be a way to put my database on my website.
    If you want to just copy the database to a web site and use it through a web browser then the answer in NO.

The standard Access database is a Rich/Thick client application that can't be run in a web browser (Thin Client). It never has and probably never will.

As stated in a previous post, the closest thing is the new 2010 web database that requires a sharepoint server. You can't use any VBA code with web databases. It all must be done in macros.

I am sorry to say that if your intent from the beginning was to make a web database that did not require a Sharepoint Server then Access was probably not the best choice.

AFAIK, your only option are explained in my article here:

Running an Access database over the internet

Shucks.

So what software could I use to build a web accessible database? Is there any software with layout structures like in Access that will allow me to make forms and tables - and then convert it to a web db maybe via php or sql?

Shucks.

So what software could I use to build a web accessible database? Is there any software with layout structures like in Access that will allow me to make forms and tables - and then convert it to a web db maybe via php or sql?
    There is really nothing as easy to use as Access for any database or web development.

Did you look at any of the Offsite hosted services (#7) in my list of options?

There are solutions that claim to convert your Access objects to VB/ASP/ASP.net. I have never used any. I do ASP/ASP.net development also. The way Access works compared to web based is so different. I fidn it best to rewrite the application as a web app taking advantage of what eh web can do. Access's strengths are in a Rich/Thick client that do not translate well to a the web.

A realistic estimate on writing a web app to do the same as your Access app is calculated at 15-20 rime longer than it took to create Access version. That is for an experienced web developer.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.