Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GraemeG is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Packaged Installer

Hello.

I have packaged my database up and made an installer. It all works great alongside Runtime Installer!
    However I have noticed that some microsoft built in macros, i.e. Save record and close form now have issues.

It now states that the current command is currently unavailable?
    Anyone have any ideas - much appreciated?

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Are you installing your database into a trusted location?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    Are you installing your database into a trusted location?
    I created a certificate and I am installing it into Program Files on main drive. It has Access Runtime which is part of the install could this be causing issues?

Have you split your Access database into application and data (front end /back end)?

Where are you installing the Access database files?

Have you split your Access database into application and data (front end /back end)?

Where are you installing the Access database files?
    No I do not want to split this database.
    It is all sited on a tablet pc with no network connections until docked in the office.

I have packaged up the entire database and included Access Runtime.

Then to test i installed it in the "Program Files" Directory (Under a sub folder - RMS v1.01) on the Harddrive i.e. (C)

You will find that you have lots of permission issues is you put your database in the Programs file folder.

I find it best to use you to use %appdata% location.

I would also highly recommend that you split the database. I can think of no good reason not to split except there is no tables used.

You will find that you have lots of permission issues is you put your database in the Programs file folder.

I find it best to use you to use %appdata% location.

I would also highly recommend that you split the database. I can think of no good reason not to split except there is no tables used.

Thanks.
    I have now tested the install with the location 'Appdata' and from quick glance seems to have resolved the issues I was previously incurring. Thanks

Ok, so If I split the database. How would I package up for install on a mobile tablet pc and locate the files?

Also I can't figure out how to issue updates If I make changes to the database, other than removing the old and installing a new, do you have any suggestions?

The first step to being able to install updates is to split your database.

I go into the the subject of managing your linked tables and more in the link in my previous post.

The first step to being able to install updates is to split your database.

I go into the the subject of managing your linked tables and more in the link in my previous post.
    Thanks.
    Ok will look at splitting my database tomorrow.

I think I am complicating things though.
    I have one database which is to be placed on the Tablets, split or non-split.
    Then the data captured in this database is then exported to a server folder when the the tablets are docked to the network.

Then I have another database, split or non-split which then imports the data and carries out all the reports etc.

Also I have looked at your infor on the link, good stuff!
    However i see about the updates and freeware which allows updating of the front end. however not sure if it is what I mean.

I have setup files from the packaged databases. Then they are iso'd to a CD. The user then inserts cd and it runs and installs on there computer. I would then like to be able to issues updates in the same way, or is this not right?

You could do that for issuing updates.

The key is that initial setup installs both the front end and back end. The update installer simply replaces the existing front end.

You could have the update deployed automatically when they are docked to the network.

You could do that for issuing updates.

The key is that initial setup installs both the front end and back end. The update installer simply replaces the existing front end.

You could have the update deployed automatically when they are docked to the network.
    Right ok. The tablets are docked and utilise activesnyc to transfer data, Can update still run throught this?

Also The other part to my question was. How do I update, because at the minute when I do changes to the forms etc I have to repackage it and uninstall the older version and install the new version. Is there not a way just to have the same package just reinstall the new build?

To install updates I normally do not create a new installer package. I simply replace the current front end.
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 03-16-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Ti install updated I normally do not create a new installer package. I simply replace the current front end.
    Sorry dont understand, so when I do changes how would I change the front end which could be located on 200+ computers and would this overwrite the existing?

Since I use a split database, I can simply copy a new front end over the old once to replace it. The data is all in the back end that is not replaced.

I use a launcher app (exe or database) that checks a web site for updates. If found it installs the update before launching eh front end.

There are other methods. I have examples in the article in Post #4's link.

Since I use a split database, I can simply copy a new front end over the old once to replace it. The data is all in the back end that is not replaced.

I use a launcher app (exe or database) that checks a web site for updates. If found it installs the update before launching eh front end.

There are other methods. I have examples in the article in Post #4's link.
    Thanks. yes I have read that. So am I right in thinking if once of these auto updaters are used, I simply make changes to the software and add it to the directory for updates then everyone who has it installed on there system will auto update with the new one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.