Bigdoggit is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Split database, separated memo fields, still getting locked records

The access database has a front end and a back end. Each workstation has its own copy of the front end while the back end is on a network share. I have also separated memo fields into their own tables. Users only access data through forms that are based on queries. Despite all of this I am still getting the ambiguous error message "Could not update; currently locked". I added code to the form for catching any errors using the On Error event for the form. Oddly enough the Err.Number value shows to be 0 instead of 3218 - what I would expect for the "Could not update; currently locked" error. I definitely didn't expect an Err.Number of 0 when the form's error event fires.

I am running out of all ideas on this problem. Tomorrow I will get a copy of the front end and back end then post them. They will be sanitized - no data, just forms, queries, tables, and modules. They also will not include the security file either.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on this.

Eric

***I have uploaded the files as so far no repsonses
    Last edited by Bigdoggit; 03-11-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: adding files

Bigdoggit is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

This database is killing me slowly - I swear

We are still getting random locks. I cannot reproduce this error no matter what I try. When a record gets locked it seems be locked from multiple computers and swaths of data seems to be locked. However, everything is set to No Locks. When I experiment with two computers even if I change fields with one computer and do not save my changes, the other computer can update without issue. Only when the first computer goes to update does it receive a message that another user made changes and do I want to save mine or discard them. Never can I get the message "Could not update; record currently locked." Even when I use the on error event for the form I am shown that the Err.Number is 0 - not 3218 or any other error number. How can an on error event be triggered but no error number be reported!!! This test is on a record that is throwing the "Could not update; record currently locked" error. I sure do hope someone has a suggestion soon.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.