b123 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Combo Lookup

Hi guys I have a quick question. I have a combo box on a form that has a control source on another reference table. It reports its findings to the master table.

My question is what would be the proper method to have this combo box bring all of the fields in reference record back to the master table so they can be used in calculations.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Just to clarify, you have a combo box whose row source is another table that hold values needed for a calculation. That combo box is bound to a field in the record source of the table on which the form is based.

If my interpretation is correct, you can use row source of the combo box to bring in all of the fields you need for the calculation. Then in a textbox where you will display the end result of the calculation, you can reference any field brought in by the combo box via the column indicator. For example, the expression for the calculated value might be as follows

=10* comboboxname.column(2)* comboboxname.column(3) etc

Access starts number with 0 rather than 1, so the first field/column in the combo box's row source is 0. So in the expression above, column(2) represents the 3rd field in the row source

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.