Darkglasses is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Some general direction

Hi All,

I have a database to create for a friend and been some years since I worked with MS Access so realising how much I have forgotten. I have made a number of attempts with the aid of google but cannot get the database to work as I need it. So I was wondering if anyone could make some suggestions on tackling my problem?

First I have to create a data entry form to capture Client details which I have built no problem for phone number, address etc. The problems start when I need to associate this client record with a partner or Children. I have create a Partner details table and Depandents details table but cannot get the relationships right with my Client ID primary Key?

I have tried subforms which works fine for the partner but some folk have more than one child and creating these records do not associate with the Client records. I have also tried creating a button to "add partner" but the form that loads does not import the Client ID and thus not assocaited.

Any advice on initial structure?

Once I crack this I will add that service they have in my friends line of business but have hit a brick wall straight out of the gate.

Thanks for reading.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you looked at the TE,plates that ship with Access and those on the MS Office site? I'll bet there is something close that you could then modify.

Thanks mate,

I am working through the templates again - contacts.

This is allowing me to enter the main clinet details but think I am still going to hit the problem when I have to relate dependants/partners to the Clients.

Have gone back and watching training videos but haven't found anything to get me off and going here.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you played with the Northwind sample that ships with Access? There are some useful tips in there as well.

Thanks looking at it now. Will save it as a different file and d some editing to see if I can make it fit what I need.

I am still have trouble getting my relationships sorted. I was able to get the partner bit sorted but not the dependants and can't see where I am going wrong. I put my primary key "Client_ID" in the partner table and it worked. I did the same thing with dependats and access failed to build a subform. So I watched some tutorials on the Micorsoft website and I dropped the Partner/dependant primary keys in the CLients field as foreign keys, still didn't work. I don't know what is wrong with me as I just can't wrap my head around where I am going wrong.

Anyway I like the tab idea from the Northwind template and think I could make 3 tabs - one for the client, one for the partner details and one for dependants.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.