Wayne311 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Reports, Word and merge

I am in the process of exploring reports. For the application I am creating, most reports would benefit from being a Word document. Reading some posts here and elsewhere I see mail merge and other ways to do this. What is the best way and the pros and cons of using Word? I have seen the comments to only use code (VB) and not Microsoft menus. Why? Where can I find resources to do this?

Thanks
    Wayne

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    so you want to use word merge to create reports, Wayne?

IMO, it depends on the scenario....word is good for some, for others it stinks. for instance, invoices should always be done in MS WORD because it complements the style and layout of a typical invoice MUCH more than access ever will. and it has fields that can referenced in code too!

Hey Adam,

So we agree that Word will be better in some instances...I have not found much to help with how to do it. It seems the best source of information is Albert D.Kallal, but the URL's of his are no longer valid. Any suggestions?

Wayne

how to do WHAT exactly, bud?

I have written a function long ago to do just that, but the db has to spec'd to shared, I think. As in, it opens word and creates a merge document based on a table. That of course, does not customize an invoice, but rather merges data in general. Would that help you get started at least?

the maj. of the work after that would really be populating specific fields and stuff on the word docs, as the code that I have only merges the data into one doc with the necessary pages.

That sounds like a good place to start as I have not seen any examples. Does a table need to be exported for this to work? Or can Word find a table in a DB?

no Wayne, as far as I know, the merge feature using the office engine to pull data from other files. if exporting tables was a requirement, it would defeat the purpose of the efficiency introduced by the mail merge, right?

anyway, i'm at a restaurant right now so i'll upload that to you when i get back home, if noone else pops in here and gives you some better advice.

Wow, at a restaurant and still helping out! You are way too dedicated.

Thanks
    Wayne

dedication earns you money, friend. and can you believe I don't even own a mobile device? it's just a phone, nothing else.

I write it, I never play with it.

like the rich people, right? They earn it all and don't ever spend any of it. and btw, who says I'm dedicated? trust me, if I have something to do, you won't find me here.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.