tyguy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Unhappy Can't rearrange fields in Form Layout view

Hi,

I'm enrolled in a computer class about Microsoft Access, and I ran into a problem. I created a form based off one of my database tables. I pulled up the form in Layout view, and I needed to change the order of the fields. Specifically, I had to move one and "slide" it under another. In my textbook, I totally understand how this should work. But I might have mistakenly messed up a setting, because when I went to "slide" the field (along with its contents on the right), it just slid the field name and dropped it wherever my mouse was. It didn't automatically rearrage the fields like it should. However, in a different form in my database, I was able to move the field in Layout view just like the text said. The difference I noticed between the two forms, was that the one that worked had a dashed border around all the fields and their contents. In the upper left of the dashed bordered box is a cross that is used to select all the fields. But my other form doesn't have that. It just grabs the specific field I choose. I believe this dashed box is called a navigation control or something, but I'm not sure. How can I get this "dashed box" or navigation control back into my form, so that I can rearrange the fields? I really need help with this, and I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Highlight the control(s), right-click, and select Layout/Remove.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

tyguy is offline Novice
    I don't have that option. I'm using Access 2010. If I highlight one of the fields (the border turns orange), and then I right click, it shows a layout button that has a subset of options called "Tabular" and "Stacked." If I select one of those it changes the layout, and I see the dashed box around that specific field and its contents, but it needs to be around all the fields and their contents, so that when I select one field to move it, it can be arranged automatically, instead of individually wherever.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

tyguy is offline Novice
    Okay, I think I made a little progress. I highlighted all the fields and their contents, right clicked, selcted "Layout" and then "Stacked." From there the dashed box shows up around all the fields, and I can move the fields with their contents! However, the basic "Stacked" option put extra space between the fields. Is it possible to view some sort of advanced Layout options other than the shortcut menu that would allow me to adjust the spacing between the fields in Form Layout view? Thanks so much.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you tried working in Design View instead of Layout View?

tyguy is offline Novice
    Yes, it looks like I can make spacing selection in the Design View. However, they are all greyed out. I went to Design View => Arrange => Sizing & Ordering => Size/Space. Why are the spacing options greyed out? What do I have to select to make these options available? Thanks RuralGuy!

tyguy is offline Novice
    It looks like I have to remove the "layout box" in order to adjust the spacing...but once I change the order of the fields I can remove the "layout box" to make the adjustments I need.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.