Dollydriver is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

How do I put a multi-choice option on my form?

Help! Fairly new to Access and stumped! Created a database for students showing courses they've done and now want to add a multi-choice for other courses they might like to do in the future. Need to make it a list box as too many courses for a combo box, and want to have tick boxes for ease of entering data, but how do I do this? Is it too difficult for a beginner and should I stick to my old format of having simply course choice 1, 2, etc with a drop-down menu? Bit clumsy with so many courses now -24 choices!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    enabling multi-list is a property choice for listboxes. iterating through the choices and doing something with the selected values is much more difficult for a beginner. it requires code.

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003

Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    for a BEGINNER? I sure hope they praise you for that one!

Windows XP Access 2003
    LOL! Hey I never said it was for a beginner. But who knows, maybe OP wants to give it a shot. Go big or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    Go big or go home!
    or stay small and just increase your customer base. and I didn't say that, the OP did you dork! LOOK...

multiple entries from list box

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna give the code a try, but not hopeful, as it seems very technical for me! Is there not a simpler way of just saying in the properties box to allow multiple choices instead of the default one?

Windows XP Access 2003
    The issue isnt making the listbox allow multiple selections. That's a properties box change, as Adam noted. However, what are you going to do with it after the selections are made? You have to loop through each selection on the listbox and see which ones are selected. THAT is what the code is for. Enabling multi-select is the easy part.

You may say it's easy! Not for me! Really feel out of my depth with this. The list of 24 course choices each student can choose from I need to input to my database so I can easily retrieve a list of popular courses and a mailing list for specific courses. I cannot make the list box allow more than one choice at present, no matter what I try. I've tried putting individual choice boxes on the form instead and now I keep getting the parameter box coming up and don't know what to do about it. Going to bed, I've had enough for today! Can you help in a simple way or do I give this up as a bad job?

I'm simply wondering why so many people here post questions about student courses.

are there seriously THAT many for-profit colleges popping up in this country? if there is, that's a worse move than Obama's "money lending for-free" plan.

I'm writing from England, and my courses are free ones available at the library where I work!

Windows XP Access 2003
    To get back to the topic at hand, making a listbox multiple-select is as simple as changing the properties dialog box. However, if you wish to actually do anything wit the choices, you need to use VBA to loop through the listbox to find the selected ones. There isn't another way around it.

Thanks for replying. Far too technical for me. I'll have to go on an Access refresher course. Thanks anyway.

Hooray! Thank you all for your help - I've got the form and combo boxes working. Will gen up on VBA, as it's not as sophisticated as I'd like, but it will do for now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.