Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tari is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Red face Need help with a report

Hey,

my boss wants to change our purchasing paperwork from paper to access. As I'm the geek on sight he asked me if I could sit down and figure it out - unfortunately I'm a total Access noob

So I decided to work backwards.. I used the order mangement template from the office website and changed it according to my needs.
    I'm at the final step now and don't know how to do it

My order form looks like the attached screenshot. The Order ID is the "1" where it says "RTP Number" and it's an autonumber.

Now what I need is when you hit the button "View RTP" that it asks you for the RTP Number.. so 1.. and it shows you the report related to Order ID 1. I have to configure the report so that it looks the way I want it, but I think I can figure that out. My problem is the qualification by Order ID.

And I have another question.. When you open the database the order form automatically opens and displays the first record. How do I make it to default to a new record, rather than the first record? So when you open it, it gives you a blank form.

Hope that made any sene

Thanks for the help!

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    If you are using code behind the View RTP button, then you just need to specify the WHERE portion of the docmd. How did you set up the button, the command button wizard? Can you post the code behind the button?

The docmd code might look something like this:
    Code:

Dim stDocName As String
        stDocName = "YourReportNameHere"
        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , "[Order ID]= " & me.ControlNameOnTheFormThatHoldsTheOrderID

When you open the database the order form automatically opens and displays the first record. How do I make it to default to a new record, rather than the first record? So when you open it, it gives you a blank form.
    In design view of the form, go to Properties-->Data-->Data Entry and change it from No to Yes

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    If you are using code behind the View RTP button, then you just need to specify the WHERE portion of the docmd. How did you set up the button, the command button wizard? Can you post the code behind the button?
    Unfortunately I have no clue. As I said, I'm working backwards from a Microsoft Template. I opened the form in design mode and clicked on code. Screenshot 1 shows you what I got there. Screenshot 2 is the properties of the button. All the button does is open the report, doesn't it? This is the link to the original template http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...in=HA001234159 there the same button is called "Orders Summary". It would probably save you time to look at it there and your magic can give you the answers ^.^ Sorry, I'm really new to Access.

In design view of the form, go to Properties-->Data-->Data Entry and change it from No to Yes
    Sorry I don't quite understand this. Properties of which section?

I appreciate your help!

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Actually the template uses an embedded macro; I generally do not work with macros, so I'm not sure how to specify to open the report just for the current record shown on the form. If I were doing it with code it would look like this.

Code:
    Dim stDocName As String

stDocName = "Orders Summary"
        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acViewReport, , "CustomerID=" & Me.CustomerID

If you can post your DB (with any sensitive data removed) I can add the code.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Here you go Thanks so much for your help

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I was able to figure out what to do within the macro. I added the reference to the orderID control of the form in the conditions section of the OpenOrderSummary macro: [Forms]![Add an Order and Details]![OrderID]

I've attached the modified DB.

Windows XP Access 2003
    if you click "view RTP" it does not ask you for the order number though..

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    It's not doing what I thought it would. Let me take another look at it.

Windows XP Access 2003
    But I'm actually looking for a prompt asking which OrderID to show. So if I want to reprint OrderID 5.. I click "view RTP", prompt asks me for Order ID.. I enter 5 and it opens the report related to order ID 5

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    But I'm actually looking for a prompt asking which OrderID to show. So if I want to reprint OrderID 5.. I click "view RTP", prompt asks me for Order ID.. I enter 5 and it opens the report related to order ID 5
    From a user's point of view, I would rather have the report print for the record I am viewing rather than some other random record.

So, I have set it up so that the code will show the report for whatever record is shown in the form when the user clicks the button. This relieves them of having to type in the number. Additionally, the way you have your query set up that supplies data to the report, it will error out if there are no detail records tied to the order. Instead of having the user see an erroneous report, I added some additional code that throws back a message saying that there are no details so a summary report is not possible. The revised DB is attached.

We could add another button to give the user the option of viewing the report for another record rather than the currently shown record.

Windows XP Access 2003
    This relieves them of having to type in the number
    I appreciate all your help with this DB, but I don't think I made myself clear enough as to what I'm looking for. I don't want the user to be relieved of typing a number, I actually do want them to type in the number. If I have to reprint an RTP from a previous order, I don't want to flip through records until I find the one I'm looking for. The DB has an order detail summary per supplier, so I find the order ID real quick. I then just want to click "view rtp", type in the order ID and get the one i was looking for.

Does that make sense?

Windows XP Access 2003
    From a user's point of view, I would rather have the report print for the record I am viewing rather than some other random record.
    I get that and I agree

We could add another button to give the user the option of viewing the report for another record rather than the currently shown record.
    That would be great

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Here is the DB with both options. I'll leave it to you whether you want to keep both or just one. If you want just one, delete the button you don't want.

Windows XP Access 2003
    That is perfect. Thank you!

So all I have left to do is customize the layout of the report and then I'm done.

Consider yourself my personal hero for today

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    You're welcome. Good luck as you finish up the project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.