Dirtywindows is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Angry access crashing

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm running Access 2010 on Windows 7, and it crashes all the time. Most recently I created a database with 5 tables, 4 of which are used as look-up tables for data in the 5th table. I entered all the necessary records in the 4 tables, then entered about 20 records in Table 5, then closed the file for a few hours. Now, when I open it, one of the look-up tables will not open and if I click to open it, Access crashes. Is this normal?

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm about to give up on my version of Access and throw it through a 10th story window.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    no it's not normal. The time you had it closed has nothing to do with the issue.

are you sure your office version or access program is not corrupted itself? others will certainly answer this, but that, I would think is the most obvious thing to check first, either with a reinstall or a reboot at the very least.

The other thing: be wary of producing .mdb files in 2010. They are prone to corruption immediately. From personal experience, I say that only.

Dirtywindows is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

No solution yet

Good thought on the program being corrupted. Well, I confirmed that the file isn't the problem, since the tables will open fine on a different computer. So I re-installed MS Office 2010 Professional and Access still crashes when I try to open that specific table of the file. No change after re-install. Don't know what to try next.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    definitely not normal.

and it opens ok on another PC(s) - - this is very key and one should be 100% on this point....and they are also 2010 W7 environment....

and opening a single table, in an unsplit db is about as vanilla as one can be; am presuming it is the only object being opened, everything else is closed and that this table doesn't have itself any funky fields like attachments with values that aren't valid......

one consideration; so what I would do is to see if any other app also crashes....fire up some youtube on browsers, open a few other apps....what one is aiming at is triggering some sort of crash in other apps too to see if you have some sort of RAM/bus/driver/harddrive system type issue with the hardware.....

if sure it is not system/hardware; then one might do convert to .accdb just to experiment - but don't mean to send you on a wild goose chase....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.