Amanda is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Add Multiple Records on One Form (part2?)

Hello -

I am new to forums and not sure how to start this thread - so please be patient. I have however, up to this point, thought myself to be fairly proficient with Access, that is until this issue.

I found a thread (Add Multiple Records on One Form 8/13/10) from William McKinely that is similar to my problem. He was able to get an answer from PBaldy - but it was a little short on details.

I am looking for the details of PBaldy's solution to create / run an append query to pre-populate a table in order to create / show a form for data entry with multiple new records for easy update.

Since I did not know if was appropriate to contact them directly, I thought I would post my request for more information in a new thread.

thanks

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Amanda,

there is not question in this thread, so it should not have been posted, really. If you have the original thread's link, send Paul a message via the forum's messaging system and give him the link. Or post it here for others to see.

Obviously I don't speak for Paul, but I would doubt he would remember what you're referencing without the link, especially if it was a while back....

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Amanda, regarding the message that you sent me, I think you misunderstood Adam (or I am). He is not telling you that you shouldn't have started a new thread, as that was appropriate (you could also have added to the old thread). His point is that since you are referring back to an old thread, you should include a link to that thread so we can refer back to it (I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so what I wrote months ago is long gone). I assume you mean this one:

https://www.accessforums.net/forms/a...form-7314.html

The details would obviously depend on your specifics. The specific query referred to there looks like:

INSERT INTO tblDailyCharter ( Company, Dor_date, Driver_no, Rate)
    SELECT Rates.Company_code, [Forms]![frmTripsheetMain]![txtDORDate] AS dor_date, [Forms]![frmTripsheetDE]![Driver_no] AS driver_no, Rates.Rate
    FROM Rates
    WHERE Rates.Company_code=[Forms]![frmTripsheetMain]![txtCompanyCode] AND Rates.Active_code="A"

Which will put a record in for the current driver/date for every active rate.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Amanda is offline Novice
    Thank you for your assistance. I was unable to adapt your helpful query suggestions to my application - issues with primary keys and violations (perhaps I am not so versed in this program as I thought). However I was able to create a macro that would paste the names. This is not the most elegant solution and is probably a basic/novice method, but it is working for me. If it is of any use to anyone the macro is:
    paste all names in daily
    OpenQuery Animal Name query, Datasheet, Edit
    RunCommand SelectAllRecords
    RunCommand Copy
    Close Query,Animal Name query, No
    GoToControl Daily subform
    GoToControl Animal Name
    RunCommand PasteAppend
    GoToControl Animal Name

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.