anoob is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Access vs. Filemaker

Hello all,
    I have decided to make the leap to Access and I am in the process of creating an entirely new database that will help me track my contacts, clients, jobs, invoices, etc. Unfortunately I am clueless on how to use Access and I do not think that I understand relationships as they are meant to be used. I have done a lot of reading but I've hit a wall.

My main concern is this - I would like to keep all of my contacts and their information in one table. I would like to keep all of my clients (which will refer specifically to a business) in another. However, when a contact is selected from a drop down menu on the clients table, I would like the data to fill in automatically. For Example:

==================
    tblContacts
    ==================
    -Contact ID - PK
    -First Name
    -Last Name
    -Email
    -Mobile Phone
    -Personal Notes
    ==================

==================
    tblClients
    ==================
    -Client ID - PK
    -Business Name
    -Address
    -City
    -State
    -Zip
    -Website
    -Fax
    **-Contact ID - Drop Down that displays full contact name
    *-First Name - Populated based on drop down selection
    *-Last Name - Populated based on drop down selection
    *-Email - Populated based on drop down selection
    *-Mobile Phone - Populated based on drop down selection
    ==================

tblContacts relates to individuals
    tblClients relates to businesses and locations

*I have read that this may be an incorrect way to look at the data, since it would be redundant - perhaps I should only use a form to combine all the data in one place?*

My problem is getting the corresponding fields to populate automatically in the clients table (or form) once I select a contact. The reason I don't combine this all into one table is because my contact could move to another job, and I would rather be able to re-select a new contact for a client record instead of entering an entirely new record.

Is this what a relationship is used for?
    Is what I am trying to do even possible?
    (I had a working version of this in Filemaker)

I am open to any suggestions if I can avoid some stupid mistakes here...

Please advise.

Many thanks!

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

* the way you have set the relationship up, one contact can work for many clients, so there is a 1 to many relationship from contact to client.
    In this case you can create a main form showing the contact with a subform showing all clients they work for.

* If one client can have many contacts, you remove the field contact ID from tblClients, and put a field clientID in the table tblContacts. Then you can create a main form showing the client with a subform showing all contacts for that client.

* If there is a many to many relationship: one client can have many contacts and one contact can work for many clients, you need a third table like:

tblClientContacts
    ----------------
    ClientId
    ContactID
    Function

greetings
    Noëlla

anoob is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Ah, thank you so much!
    So you can use a subform without "running" a query to bring data together on a form then, and style it so it LOOKS like one document?

(I use quotes around "running" because I am not sure - again - exactly when a query must be used. Right now I am more worried about the basics and understanding how all these things need to relate before I worry about reports and such.)

Is there a way then to do a one-to-many relationship where 1 CLIENT can have 1 CONTACT, and this contact is selected from a drop down list? I have tried to set this drop down box to display the first and last names of the contacts, but when I select an option I get a data error because the name is not a number - and I had to set the FK to a number type so that I could set the link between the AutoNumber PK and this to begin with.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks again!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.