IFA Stamford is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2003

DLookup or Other Solution

Thanks for the help on my previous post. I am now looking for a solution on the above subject.

For example I have a table that has two columns of data. The first column will be my reference column to compare to another table. I would like to use the Dlookup function in my query to take any record that matches and return what would be in the second column.

For instance

Table 1
    A
    B
    C
    D

Table 2
    A 45
    B 62
    C 14
    D 1

How could I write the Dlookup such that in the 64,000 records any match that comes across as example A in table one, would create a new record that would show a match from table two and return the 45?

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    be wary of using the DL() function with large tables like that. I recently ran a similar function in a query (using dlookup) on a table 160K records and it took something like 1 min to execute. So if you break that down statistically, that's 160000/60 seconds = 2700 records a second. And a normal query that doesn't execute any built in functions, I'm sure can run more than 50000 records a second (OK, maybe that's pushing it a bit, but you get the idea).

a better way would certainly be similar to the example I posted here: https://www.accessforums.net/queries...html#post42905

That runs almost instantaneous on large sets, as is a great alternative to using lookups. It can be modified of course.

IFA Stamford is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    be wary of using the DL() function with large tables like that. I recently ran a similar function in a query (using dlookup) on a table 160K records and it took something like 1 min to execute. So if you break that down statistically, that's 160000/60 seconds = 2700 records a second. And a normal query that doesn't execute any built in functions, I'm sure can run more than 50000 records a second (OK, maybe that's pushing it a bit, but you get the idea).

a better way would certainly be similar to the example I posted here: https://www.accessforums.net/queries...html#post42905

That runs almost instantaneous on large sets, as is a great alternative to using lookups. It can be modified of course.
    The thread you sent me to was an Update Table thread. I am trying more to have information retrieve not overwrite an existing table.

Here is what the logic currently looks like:

IIf([Rev '10 Pt II]![Product Level 2]="Solution Sales" And [Rev '10 Pt II]![DeDup]="Dedup of Corporate Bond Cross Sell","Solution Sales",IIf([Rev '10 Pt II]![Product Level 1]="Non Core","Exclude",IIf([Rev '10 Pt II]![Product Level 1]="Portfolio" And [Rev '10 Pt II]![Fact Type Desc]="TLP","TLP",IIf([Rev '10 Pt II]![Product Level 2]="Markets" And [Rev '10 Pt II]![Fact Type Desc]="Franchise Offset","Exclude",IIf([Rev '10 Pt II]![DeDup]="50% Bond Dedup" And [Rev '10 Pt II]![Product Level 2]="DCM","Exclude",IIf([Rev '10 Pt II]![Fact Type Desc]="Franchise Offset" And [Rev '10 Pt II]![Product Level 2]="DCM","Exclude",DLookUp([Khalix Hier Lvl 8 Desc],[Khalix Hier Lvl 8 Desc]![C Mi Desc],[Rev '10 Pt II]![Khalix Hier Lvl 8 Desc]=[Khalix Hier Lvl 8 Desc]![Khalix Hier Lvl 8 Desc])))))))

The piece in red was my Dlookup. I was essentially trying to have it

a) Lookup the values that come up in the column (Khalix Hier Lvl 8 Desc)
    b) Compare with another table (Khalix Hier Lvl 8 Desc (C MI Desc)
    c) Identify where the records match between the two tables.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    IFA,

I know it was an update query. I said it could be modified. I expect people to be able to interpret what I post and make an effort to help themselves. E.G. - not look at my advice as black and white and expect it to be a spoonfeed, as it never is. And the world never is either, as a matter of fact.

But as far as your statement, I'm sorry but I don't have the time right now to disect it into a readable form. I will take a look at it again if you can linefeed it or parse it out and post it in a more readable form instead of one 5-line chunk of sql.

One thing that I do notice though, is that you're using the bang (!) to reference other table values, which I don't think works, but I could be wrong. At the very least though, it's bad practice because it is not congruent among all entities in Access that can utilize absolute and/or relative references.

Please parse it out so people can read it. The placement of linefeeds don't matter, but it has to be distiguishible.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.