batowl is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Enter Parameter Value Problem

Hi,
    So I am building a bunch of queries and all of them work just fine, but not without clicking "Ok" on the "Enter Parameter Value" box that comes up each time I try to run the query (and it comes up many, many times for each query).

Here is an example of the expression in a query that is causing this box to pop up each and every time:
    MA: IIf([Mt Ascutney]="Present",1,0)
    So when I try to run this query that has this expression in it, it asks for me to "Enter Parameter Value" for "MA" (and numerous other fields in this query that are similar).
    I can click "OK" without entering anything in the box for this prompt and the query works just fine, but I cannot hand over this database to the users and ask them to click through these boxes each and every time. Any solutions? Must be something easy...

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    That dialog box pops up when Access cannot find what it's looking for. In your case, it is looking for the value in [Mt Ascutney]. Make sure you spelled it correctly and that all the capitalization and spacing is correct and matches the actual field name. If that doesn't fix it, try doing [Table Name].[Mt Ascutney] instead.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yeah, that is what originally thought too, but all the spacing and capitalization are correct and in the end, it is running the query properly by just leaving these "Enter Parameter Value" boxes blank and hitting OK, so it knows where to look and is looking in the right spot.
    [Table Name].[Mt Ascutney] produces the same results.

It seems to me that it does not like something about the name of the expression: "MA"

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So leaving the parameter blank and hitting OK produces correct results? That's odd. Not sure why that would happen. In the meantime, you can create that as
    MA: 0
    then run an update query to update MA to 1 where Mt Ascutney = "present"

Windows XP Access 2003
    Ugh, resolved: the Totals option in the query was activated. Turning that off fixed it my problem. Thanks for your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.