Paul-NY is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Corrupt Access file

Hi
    I have a user who has a 2003 Access database where the Access compact and repair tool is used everyday.

On Tuesday, during the time when the user was running this utility, the user received an error: "The database could not be found. The file may have been moved, renamed, deleted or corrupted. Open ODBC to locate or repair the file then try re-launching DRCMS."

Since this point, we cannot open the database because it was obviously corrupted in some way. The error received now is "Unrecognized database format <file path>"

Is there any way to save this file or does anyone know what happened?

Paul

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    the "unrecognized" error is a very common sign of corruption. I continually get it when I open 07 databases in 2010 versions. It doesn't matter if I make changes to the file or not, it is automatically corrupted. I am still searching for a solution to this, but have not done much research on it.

I wouldn't say there is any reason, other than the fact that microsoft has a reputation for distributing software that is not 100% bug-proof and compatible. truly, the best way to protect yourself from the shortcomings of that company is to back up your data and not rely on them at all. But then again, that should be a written rule for every scenario with large companies, as they all do the same thing. if you're the little guy, it's always a mistake to take to heart anything that a corporation says. Or, rather, said in a more 'friendly' way. protect yourself against unexpected results.

Your only option might be to simply revert back to one of your older copies or backups. tried googling the error message yet? google is bound to bring up articles, and good ones, as this question has been asked before many times.

NTC is offline VIP
    is it a split db?

Paul-NY is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Corrupt Access file

No, it is not split.

Paul

NTC is offline VIP
    have you tried to open it while holding the 'shift' key...? may not matter but worth a try. water under the bridge as to why the many compact/repairs were being invoked. Obviously if it was split the data would be available. BEs rarely corrupt because they are primarily just tables. I do a c/r after redesigning an FE, but other than that never do it. Ironically it caused the problem yet also may key to fix it. Here is advice from Allen Browne - I consider him the #1 Access guru:
    Recovering from Corruption
    at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

hope this helps.

thhui is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Yes.
    Your most promising bet is
    getting most from your corrupted db
    through import calling from a new access db.

sampatrik is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hello, This Error ( "Unrecognized database format <file path>") occurs when access 97 fail to automatically repair corrupted access files. Microsoft office Provide solution of this problem in Access 200 and upper version. Use most updated version of software and convert you old access database file to updated version file format, after converting files run repair process.

Hopefully this method will work for you but in the case if this method didn't work for you then you need a access repair software which can repair corrupt database files.

You can try Stellar Phoenix Access Repair Software

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.