After front end shut down - server shows still open!

Hi there! I'm hoping someone can help me out with a strange problem.

We have a Access 2010 database where the front and back end is split and each computer/user has their own front end - it's a very basic uncomplicated customer database for our sales staff. When everyone logs out and closes their Access front ends, I still can't access the back end to make changes because it says that I don't have exclusive access. I can't open in exclusive access because it says that someone else has it open.
    When we check the server admin tools, share and storage management, it shows that Access is still running - even though it's not. So I have to then manually shut it down from the server management tool so I can make the back end changes.
    BUT THEN when the user tries to log in again, they can't because their front end keeps saying that their access to the database has been interrupted and to re-start the program, but even with restarting they get the same message.
    YIKES!! HELP PLEASE!!

By the was I was able to get the front end working by going into the Task Manager > Processes and shutting down the multiple MSAccess processes that were open. I just don't know why it's not closing the processes when the program or the front end is closed????

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Had a similar issue a couple of years ago at a previous employer. Users would minimize forget it's open and open it again then when I needed to make changes and sent out an e-mail for everyone to get out they would exit one but the second was minimized and they didn't notice it. The solution we used was instead of having the users logout of the Access DB we made them logout of everything and restart their PC. If they did not and we determined which user did not they were given a warning by IT.

Thanks, we're all in the same small area and I'm accessing and closing it on all the computers myself. The one main computer that's having the issues is not able to be restarted because she has literally 10 programs running and it takes a long time to re-start and get into them all again. I just asked her if she could restart and she responded "Oh Good God No!!" So I'm hoping there's another solution :-)

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    I've never done it myself but I've heard some programmers that set up a timer and if no key is pressed or there is no activity for a certain period of time Access will colse itself. Other than that you'd have to go around to every PC that uses the DB and verify yourself that all instances are closed.

Yeah, I've been going around to each computer to verify that access is closed, and even when they're closed - access is shut down completely, somehow in the background processes, Access is still actually running. I've never seen anything like it before... so it looks like I may have to go to each offending computer and go to the task manager and shut down the Access processes that are running.. :-(

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    So even though you've closed all instances of Access the Access Process is still running? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Yup! That's the issue! I have NO idea what's causing it!! Strange eh?!

And now we're trying to get it to fail so we can get the IT person to watch the system and it's working perfectly!! ARGH!! I'm sure it will cause problems again at the worst possible time....

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Something you might check into is if you are using recordsets in code, are they ALL being closed before the sub/function ends? The "rule" I learned was "If you create it, destroy it; If you open it, close it". So if you have code like

Code:
    Public Function GetStatus(pNumber As Long) As String
       Dim d As DAO.Database
       Dim r As DAO.Recordset
       Dim sSQL As String

Set d = CurrentDb

sSQL = "SELECT ANumber, Step, StepValue FROM StepTable WHERE ANumber = " & pNumber
       Set r = d.OpenRecordset(sSQL)

If Not (r.BOF And r.EOF) Then
         'do something
       End If
      ' NO cleanup here!!
    End Function
    it really should be written:
    Code:
    Public Function GetStatus(pNumber As Long) As String
       Dim d As DAO.Database
       Dim r As DAO.Recordset
       Dim sSQL As String

Set d = CurrentDb

sSQL = "SELECT ANumber, Step, StepValue FROM StepTable WHERE ANumber = " & pNumber
       Set r = d.OpenRecordset(sSQL)

If Not (r.BOF And r.EOF) Then
          'do something
       End If

'clean up
       r.Close   ' opened, so close it
      Set r = Nothing   ' created it (Dim r AS DAO.Recordset )
      Set d = Nothing  ' created it (Dim d As DAO.Database)
    End Function
    Since you did not OPEN "d", don't close it!!

If you leave connections open, sometimes Access appears to quit, but is still running. That is when you (sometimes) have to go into background processes to close Access.

Also, how to users quit Access. If they hit the "X" in the upper right hand corner, recordsets might not be closed properly. I have a button to exit Access, asks if you really want to quit and (tries) to ensure connections are properly closed.

Just something that has worked for me....

Thanks Steve! I'll look around and see if I can find any code like that. It sounds like that's most likely the issue!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.