Acidburning is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Table Lookup - Row Source from another Table - only showing numbers

I know this must be very basic, and have spent a few hours searching. So here I am

When I have a 3rd table looking at the row source of the 2nd table, which is looking at the row source of the 1st table. I only get numbers.

Everything I have read so far points to using a query as a solution. However, the query I made is not updating the information from the 2nd table.

I have attached a few examples.

Attachment 6247

this below shows. I changed "Bakersfield-test1" in the original table. However, the query I made does not update, still showing "Bakersfield-test". When you click on the drop down, it shows the updated "Bakersfield-test1", but it does not repopulate my column with the updated info from the table.
    Attachment 6248

thanks for helping.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Those images don't help. They don't even look like they have anything in common. We need to know how tables are related and how the comboboxes are set up. If you want to provide project for analysis, will look at.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7,
    Thanks for the feedback. Please see attached zip file.
    Looking at: tblFAcontracts
    and column: tlkplocationSbuilding
    the pull downs only display the numbers from the other tablelookups.

re queries:
    If I want to change something in tlkplocationArea or tlkplocationHQ, I want it to update in the tblFAcontracts. However, when I use a query to do this, it does no update; therefore using the the multiple tablelookups from each table.

I must be doing something rudimentary wrong.

thanks for your help.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I NEVER set lookups in tables. As developer when I view tables I want to see actual values. I don't let users interact with tables and queries, use forms and reports as data interface. Are you the only user of this project?

Yes, rudimentary error. The field tlkplocationSbuilding has an alias that is a number field and that field has a lookup alias. That alias will not pass through. This arrangement not making sense to me. I think a table for Buildings would be like:

BuildingID (pk)
    BuildingName
    BuildingAddress
    BuildingStreet
    BuildingCity
    BuildingState
    BuildingOwner
    LocationArea (fk ID or actual name)

It is not a requirement to use Autonumber as PK. If text descriptors are short (such as Fresno) they can be PK. I have one project that has Autonumber on only one table, another project that has none, and another that has Autonumber PK on every table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I NEVER set lookups in tables. As developer when I view tables I want to see actual values. I don't let users interact with tables and queries, use forms and reports as data interface. Are you the only user of this project?
    I will be the only user for quite some time. I see the comment a lot, about not setting up lookups in tables -- and using queries. I am not to the form stage (yet). I am trying to build my tables, get everything connected, then setup the forms.

Yes, rudimentary error. The field tlkplocationSbuilding has an alias that is a number field and that field has a lookup alias. That alias will not pass through.
    Yes, I see that the Data Type is Number. This was the direct result from using the lookup wizard from my other table (don't shiver just yet )

Here is my general question.
    I want to have multiple tables, a lot of tables.
    Why?
    Because I want to control the data. I don't want me (or another future user) to be able to type a city. ie: Fresno. Because later on, I want to be able to query based on results. So if someone mistype to "Freson", that is going to cause a problem.

If I want to have many tables, what is the best method for lookups in other tables? I want data in other tables that are linked to update in real time. So, if I change "Fresno" to "Fresno1", I want the adjoining tables to update.

As you can see, I cut down the database to a few barebones. I have the classic issue where I am combining data from 12+ excel files, and I am trying to bring stuff in a phased and segmented process.

Again, thanks for your help and future responses.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.