edwardcga is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Split database and distribution

I have an application that I published and installed on a user's Computer(no access installed.) All is running fine. I have a question if I split the database with front and back end. (Back end database will be on a different folder or network drive.) Do I just publish the front end and how do I link the back end. In the runtime version do they have a link manager to connect the front end to the back end database.

Your advice is much appreciated.

RR

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Create the links before you publish. How are you publishing? RT does not allow any interface other than the forms and reports you create.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Create the links before you publish. How are you publishing? RT does not allow any interface other than the forms and reports you create.
    Thanks for the advice. Will try. I save and publish as package solution including the runtime. Yes, the user see only the forms and reports also a few queries but cannot export the data extracted. (except by manually highlighted the data and copy/paste to excel.) not sure if any other ways to enable export data out.

Thanks

RR

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Lots of ways to manage data. You need VBA to do the work for you in RT environments. Not sure what you mean by, "...also a few queries....".

AFAIK query objects are not able to be viewed in runtime. Also, use UNC to define the paths for your linked tables, and everything else for that matter. If using Active Directory.... Go to Network and then navigate to the accdb file. You do not want to connect using mapped drives. The drive letter in the path may not match a mapped drive on another machine.

Thanks for your reply. For the advice I need to learn more as I am not a network person. I just started to learn programming in ACCESS and using VBA. As for the queries I mentioned, I use a from with date parameter to open and run a query. It shows the data just have no tools to export the data. Maybe as you said net to write codes using VBA further develop the function of the application.

Thanks

RR

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Lots of ways to manage data. You need VBA to do the work for you in RT environments. Not sure what you mean by, "...also a few queries....".

AFAIK query objects are not able to be viewed in runtime. Also, use UNC to define the paths for your linked tables, and everything else for that matter. If using Active Directory.... Go to Network and then navigate to the accdb file. You do not want to connect using mapped drives. The drive letter in the path may not match a mapped drive on another machine.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Managing split database is common topic. Here is recent thread https://www.accessforums.net/access/...lem-40120.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.