NateL is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Post Combining Many Linked Excel Tables Into One

Hi All,

I am VERY new and raw when it comes to Access. However, I really want to learn.

Currently we have about 15-20 uniform programs which we run bi-weekly reporting to review usage. There are about 3-4 different people running these reports and then analyzing them in Excel. What I need to do for myself and manager is to combine all of these 15-20 different reports (each in it's own Excel workbook) into one for us to have a high level review of the usage and products being utilized in each program.

All of these reports have the same number of columns and the field names are identical. At the beginning of each month we add 1 new column for the new month. I want to keep all of the same field names and just add the data from all of the spreadsheets below the field names.

Right now, I have already linked 3 of the tables into an Access Database. However, I am really struggling to figure out how I can merge all of them together without losing any of the data. Also, I wasn't sure how adding new columns would effect this.

Any help for this beginner is greatly appreciated.

Nate

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Regularly adding columns is a poor database design. It is not a normalized structure. Access has a limit of 255 fields in table. You will eventually run out.

Sounds like you need to build UNION query with the linked sheets.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

NateL is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Do you have a better suggestion for adding the new months or for this process? The one thing I thought about doing is adding all of the months for the next year so I am only adding columns one time a year.

Is there a link you have to teach me how to properly create a Union? I have tried a couple different set of instructions and I can seem to get it to work correctly.

I have attached a file which gives you 3 tabs which are examples of what I am trying to combine.

Thank you!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You need to understand relational database principles. Start with a review of tutorials at http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

Normalized structure would be like:

tblProducts
    SKU
    ProductName
    Category
    SubCategory
    Sizing
    Status
    SKUPref
    Dom_OS
    DateEnterProgram

tblSales
    SKU
    SalesDate
    Quantity

For UNION query, review http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_union.asp
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.