DanT is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365

Attachment field crashing Access

Hi there, I'm having a hard time with Access crashing each time I run Query or Form wizard and select table that includes attachment field. Does anyone else have this problem or this is only me? Is there any way to overcome this other than getting rid of attachment field? I'm using Microsoft 365 build 16.0.15427.20210 dated 15/08/2022

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    DanT,

There may be an issue. I just downloaded a sample file from an older post. I know it used to work. But today I'm getting a Error 13 (Type mismatch).

Now for background -- I have a new laptop since creating the original; am using 64 bit vs 32 it - so there may be something else at my end.

You could download the sample accdb and see if it works/fails at your end. If it fails, then I think there is a new issue -- possibly a recent MS update???

I have not seen comments related to this issue as far as I can recall.
    UPDATE: There is a reference to this issue. Seems it may be related to recent update.

Also, here is my set up:

Access / Windows/ Office Version Info
    =====================================
    Date/Time: 05-Sep-22 7:54:20 AM
    Workstation Name: LAPTOP-DELL2IN1
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 - Build 10.0.19044.1949 64-bit
    Access Full Version: Access 365 Version 2207 - Build 16.0.15427.20210 64-bit
    Access Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\
    Office 365 Installed: Yes
    Office Install Method: Click-to-Run
    Update Channel: Current Channel
    Update Option: ENABLED: Updates are automatically downloaded and installed

DanT is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365
    It's a bit different in my case than the reference you attached. I can use attachments but I cannot use query or form wizard for tables that include attachments field. I've seen that thread before and looks like it was resolved

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I have the 32-bit version of the same current build of Access so thought I'd test as well.
    I can also confirm the issue occurs when trying to use the wizard to create a query, form or report based on a table or query with an attachment field
    It also affects multivalued fields as these are very similar.

It does not affect the 3rd type of complex field - column history - as this works in a different way
    As you say, Access hangs then crashes.

I'm tempted to say this is yet another good reason to avoid both MVFs and attachment fields,
    However, more helpfully, I will report the issue to the Access team this afternoon.

For info, there is no problem if you create the objects without using the wizard

However I now regret doing this test as this is even more worrying ...
    The test database I used above is now behaving as an ACCDE file even though its still an ACCDB
    a) In the Create ribbon menu, form & report menu items are disabled and clicking the query wizard tells me its an ACCDE
    b) However, confusingly but thankfully I can still see the code ....as I didn't backup first!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AccessBug.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	48637

No idea how I'm going to recover this database!
    Last edited by isladogs; 09-05-2022 at 12:57 PM.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Office 365
    Colin,

To add to the confusion a little, I downloaded the database I referenced with DanT. Initially, as I mentioned to him, it was failing on error 13 (type mismatch). Since I know it used to work, and since I was now aware that MSoft had "fixed" a recent update related to the problems you noted above,I altered my Dim statements from DAO.Field2 to Object

Code:
    Dim fld As Object ' DAO.Field2     'the name of the attachment field
     Dim OrdID As Object 'DAO.Field2   'the field from the table to use a last folder/node name
    and now the code is working as it used to. Seems there may be some underlying adjustment to Field2
    (property/definition/usage???) and probably more.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi Jack
    Thanks
    I'm aware of the issues regarding DAO.Field2 but wasn't using it anywhere in the test db (which is now largely unusable!)

I've reported the issues to the A-team with a link to this thread

EDIT
    I've just been reminded of this support article: Access stops responding when running Report Wizard (microsoft.com)
    Just about to try the Preview channel for v2208
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Amicron is offline Access Guru
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Attachments are EVIL. I recommend NOT using them.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi Richard,

Yes we all agree. However it's when you try to advise/suggest against their use to someone who is already up to their waist in MVF and/or attachments that you confirm your disdain for same. We are now stumbling over the hidden "features of" or possibly "fixes to" these rather evil constructs.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi Richard

Yes I also said that in post #4.
    I use MVFs & attachment fields purely for testing purposes and ALWAYS advise against their use in production databases
    See Multivalued Fields (isladogs.co.uk)

Jack
    Thankfully I've been able to transfer all the code of the "ACCDE like" ACCDB database to my last backup so I'm up & running
    I tried to open it in 64-bit Access 365 version 2208 but of course I failed as it reported it as a 32-bit ACCDE (even though its an ACCDB. Very peculiar!

BTW good to see you using my Access version checker utility in post #2

DanT is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    I'm tempted to say this is yet another good reason to avoid both MVFs & attachment fields,
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicron View Post
    Attachments are EVIL. I recommend NOT using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Hi Richard,

Yes we all agree. However it's when you try to advise/suggest against their use to someone who is already up to their waist in MVF and/or attachments that you confirm your disdain for same. We are now stumbling over the hidden "features of" or possibly "fixes to" these rather evil constructs.
    Many thanks for your help. I just came across this when learning stuff from online course, I'm not planning to use this feature in my database. We have SharePoint server and I think I'll stick to it, unless you have some better ideas :-)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.