bell is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2002

Access 2003 Can't start database splitter wizard

Hi all,

I had an issue with the old computer I was using, so I had to move to a new computer and re-download access. Now, I am having a problem using the database splitter.

When I click Database Splitter, I get a popup "Microsoft Access can't start this wizard. This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?"

So I press Yes, and it prompts me to insert the Access cd and click OK...So I inserted the CD and clicked OK...

Then I get the Error:

Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. For other potential solutions to this problem, see C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office10\1003\SETUP.HLP

So I press OK and I get another popup saying:

Microsoft Access can't find the wizard, or the wizard has not been installed, or there is a syntax error in the Declarations section of a Visual Basic module. The wizard you need may be missing from the Libraries key of the Microsoft Access section of the Windows Registry, or the wizard has been disabled. To make sure that the wizard is in the Windows Registry, run Setup to reinstall Microsoft Access, and then compile all Visual Basic modules in the database. To reenable this wizard, click About Microsoft Access on the Help menu, and then click the Disabled Items button to view a list of the addins which you can enable.

So I tried reinstalling Access, and I looked through all the features to install, and I made sure they all were set to "Run from My Computer".....and that didn't solve the problem

Idk why this wont work now, I used the same installation cd on my old computer and was able to use the database splitter.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a place online where I can download the database splitter wizard? Not really sure what to do...

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    I can't help with getting the splitter wizard working but you don't need to use it to split a database - just do the following

1. create a new, blank db for the back end
    2. copy the tables from your 'main' db into this new db

then - to ensure your queries are not affected (this is to do with autocorrect)
    3. in your 'main' db link to all the tables in the new db (note that they will have a 1 added to the end e.g. mytable will become mytable1
    4. go through each of these new tables, editing the name to remove the 1 - you will be prompted that this will replace an existing table - click OK
    5. job done

or if not worried about autocorrect
    3. in your 'main' db, delete all the tables
    4. in your 'main' db link to all the tables in the new db
    5. job done

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.