WildcatMatt92 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Changing the data source for a table field with a form

I have inherited an Access database which I have been charged with updating. It is used with an internal helpdesk to enter and track employee contacts. Our group is now being merged with helpdesks in other sites and so I have to update the entry form to streamline the data entry. This involves making two changes.

When it was built in 2006, the main entry form was built with queries that narrowed down our (large) employee list in another table to just our local group.

In the past, each helpdesk rep would enter their name each time they started a new form entry. I set up a Row Source formula on the form which takes the NT login and looks up the user's name in our table of employees.

Also, instead of entering the names of the employees contacting the helpdesk, we want to use the employee's extension and look it up in the employee table to get their name.

In both cases, the form works exactly the way management wants it to, the helpdesk rep's name autopopulates and when the employee's extension is entered, their name and site fills in automatically.

This changed both controls from a Combo Box to a List Box. On the form I have the Control Source field set and in the table I have changed the Display Control to List Box and set the Row Source lookup to use the exact same SQL queries as the Form uses.

However, when I try to enter data in the form, I get "You must enter a value in the 'Escalation.RepName' field.

I feel like there must be something blindly simple I'm overlooking here, there has to be something I don't have set properly, but I have no idea what to look for. The only real difference I can see is that in the past these fields in the table were associated with Queries and now I'm using straight SQL statements.

Can anyone point me toward things I should be looking at to clear this hurdle?

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Check the Escalation Table and field RepName. It sounds like it has a property at the table level saying a value is Required, or perhaps there is logic on the form saying a value is required.

Are you saying that "You must enter a value in the 'Escalation.RepName' field. has never been seen before?

WildcatMatt92 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I tracked down the issue; I was using the list box to display only one field so I incorrectly assumed it would be automatically selected, the fact that it was listed but not selected meant it wasn't being entered into the table. Ultimately I changed it to a ComboBox and it worked immediately.

There's probably a more elegant solution but at least I understand why it wasn't working.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Glad you got it resolved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.