guillermoftw is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Arrow Updating a column with the value of another Column

This is a bit difficult to explain, but I'll do my best. I imported a excel sheet to create a new table in my DB. In the table I would like to update the column is called one thing but in my imported excel doc its named another but cannot be changed. Can a JOIN identify what values it needs to change based off two different column names?

Table A Table B
    --------- -----------
    Name Name 2
    "This needs updated" "This column will update A"

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't see how a JOIN is needed. Both fields are in the same table then run an UPDATE query that populates one field with values from the other.

UPDATE tablename SET FieldA = FieldB;

Do you do this import on a regular basis?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I do import on a regular basis. Its saved in the Macro I am creating. I wasn't specific enough I'm sorry. A specific ID along with another field need to match up with both tables before the values in Table B can overwrite Table A. If I do it without the JOIN it will just overwrite all fields when I only need it to specific fields.

June7 is online now VIP
    I am confused, if the Excel data is imported, what two tables need to be joined? Describe the entire process.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I originally updated two tables from this excel spreadsheet manually until I realized I could import the excel sheet into its own table and update it from there. My first step is identify which table should be updated from the excel sheet by a value in one column. Once the correct table is chosen by the macro the SQL statement will choose an ID and another value to match the values in the excel sheet to match up. Once those values are matched, the SQL statement will run an UPDATE.

June7 is online now VIP
    I don't use macros, only VBA.

Can't do this with a single query object because the tables in FROM clause cannot be dynamic.

I would run an SQL action constructed in VBA procedure.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.