Sienna is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Excel or Access? Keeping Monthly Statistics

Let me first describe the type of data that is being tracked.

Each department in the library inputs statistics into their own tab in Excel. Some of them input statistics monthly, and some annually. These statistics are totaled at the end of each row, and those total fields are referenced in other tabs--one for each survey that asks our library for statistics.

So, the acquisitions department will input numbers like how many new books are added, and how many are discarded each month, etc.. The Interlibrary Loan department will put in statistics pertaining to how many items were loaned and requested, etc. Then the Survey tabs will add together all relevant statistics from different departmental tabs, making the reporting of statistics really easy for our Administrative staff.

I have hoped to be able to transition this over to Access because I would like to set up a unique form for each department to do their statistical data entry--but I simply cannot figure out how to design it. At every turn, I find that Excel is simply the best place for this data. So, I accepted it (mostly). It occurred to me that maybe it's possible to create forms in excel. It would be nice to make each tab look a little more crisp and clean, rather than a jumble of cells. So, I looked up ways to make forms in excel, and I see people say, "Well, that sort of thing really should be done in Access!"

So, I'm at a loss. Should this be done in Excel or Access? Should I try to do some sort of hybrid?

I attached a very simple example of the current excel file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sienna is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Here's my latest attempt at making an Access database for our statistics.

What I would like is an Access form where the user selects their department, either by selecting their own form, or by selecting their department in a drop down box. Then they select the month they're entering statistics for in another drop down box. The questions they are answering are predetermined, unique for each department, and they only have to enter in the numbers for each one and they're done.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.