jensen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Is this possible?

Hi,

I'm currently working in a school and am tasked with developing a system where by people assign different teaching assistants to different courses. I have started developing a database for this in access but keep running into problems and after much googling I'm not sure if it is possible. What I want to be able to do is select a department a course is in, lets say Maths, and then for it to bring up a list of the courses in Maths, and then to assign a TA from that list by drop down box or typing in the name.

The wall I keep hitting is that access will only show the courses that already have TA's assigned (which i did manually in a junction table so I could see some data) and when I get it to show all courses I can't edit the record. Is there anyway around this ?

Thanks

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Yes it's certainly possible. Use outer joins between the tables so you show all courses whether or not a TA is assigned.
    If you only want to show courses where no TA is assigned, add a filter where the TA field is null.

There are many reasons why queries can be read only. Read this link for the main causes and solutions http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html
    Last edited by isladogs; 08-01-2019 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Typos fixed
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

jensen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can’t just filter for null as it runs through a junction table. The basic lay out is—>

Department —> junction table —> course —> junction table —> teaching assistant

As these are many to many relationships it’s causing me a lot Trouble.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Can you upload a cut down version of the database. Just need the relevant tables. Change the names if the data is sensitive
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.