tcheck is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Linking Queries

I have two tables that are very similar but with different data. When I link one table to a query it works fine. When I link the second table to a query, I get the error message of;

“The SQL statement could not be executed because it contains ambiguous outer joins. To force one of the joins to be formed, first create a separate query that performs the first join of the stamen and then include the query in your SQL statement.”

I have 3 query’s in a query and I can link the problem table (the second one) to one of the query’s but not the other 2. Seems simple and I cannot figure out what the difference is.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Can you explain what you mean when you say 'link the second table to a query'?
    Do you have both tables as data sources for the same query in the query designer?
    And - are you trying to pull data from both the tables into the SAME query - inside the query designer?
    Perhaps you could either describe with a little more detail - or attach a screenshot?

rzw0wr is offline I will always be a newbie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Inner joins and outer joins simply put, means that you are asking for All the data from one table and just the data from the other table that has a Key that matches the join key.
    I suggest you read up on inner and outer joins to better understand. Sorry I don't have a good reference and I don't have a good enough handle on them yet to fully explain.

Your error means that Access can not figure out what you want to do with your joins.

Dale

tcheck is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I found that the second table had blank fields in it, so I did get it working.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.