Prabhu_venkat is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Lightbulb Restricted access to the database.

Hi,

I am creating a vba code in excel 2010 which will connect to ms access 2010 database which is kept in the shared location, which is working fine.

My question is:

1) I don't want anyone to open an access database or view the database information which has some confidential data on the share drive. The problem is if I put a password in the access database using exclusive option, I also need to mention the password in the vba code so that code can open the database.

Now the issue is I don't want others to know the access password by viewing my vba code, I am also aware that I can also give the password to vba module but I don't want to take chances where people crack the vba module and open the code and see the password of my access database.

So I am looking for a solution like giving password to access 2010 at the same time not mentioning the password in the vba code. The code will just extract the data as read only, so users can view the information and not be able to open ms database without the password.

Let me know, if that's possible or what other options can use so that I can fulfill above mentioned criteria.

Regards,

PV

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Have you tried putting the database in a directory that has NETWORK level security read/write permission? If you put it in a network location and give permission at the network level to the people you want to be able to see it that might work. I have never set up a process in excel to pull information from access, it's always been pushing data from access to excel, so you could, alternately, set up a network folder with network permissions and put a simple access database (with a password) that has a 1 button export function. Then you can distribute the database password to the people that should have access. Then you have a 2 teir security setup, one at the NETWORK level so that even if a person gets their hand on a password it won't do them any good.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.