vinceb29 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Dynamic WebForm Update Question

Hi, I have a question on how to get fields to dynamically update on a webform.

I have created a Web database (Access 2010) and have successfully published it up to Sharepoint.

For simplicity sake, lets say I have two tables. Table 1 has basic general information about 1000 different "widgets". Table 2 references a specific widget from table 1 but then stores specific information about a test for the widget. So, between table 1 and table 2 there is a one to many relationship (as a widget could have many tests, but a test is related to only one widget).

The two tables are linked by the field "widget id"

Within the "Test Scheduling" form I created in Access, I have a person select the widget to set up a test for. After the user selects that widget from the drop down on the form (using the widget id field), I have other read-only information fields display for that widget (related info from table 1). This allows the user to validate that he indeed has chose the correct widget to schedule the test for.

The user then goes on to enter the specific test information for that widget. I have a save button that the user clicks on to save the entered information and go on to a new record.

So this all works just fine in Access, but after putting the form up on Sharepoint, the read only information fields do not auto-fill after the user selects the widget from the drop down.

If the user continues anyway and enters test information and then saves the record and then goes back to view the info, the informational info now displays.

My guess is it is due to a lack of the form refreshing after the widget id is chosen.

I am guessing there is a simple solution for this but I have not found it yet in any of my troubleshooting I have done.

Does anyone know how to get this type of functionality to work? Do I need to structure my form differently to work on the web?

Thanks for your advice.
    - Vince

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I've never used web database and Sharepoint but will offer this.

Could a Refresh action in the combobox AfterUpdate event accomplish refreshing the display?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi,
    Thanks for replying.
    I did try that in my troubleshooting, but it had no impact.
    I have found documentation of any kind (books, web, etc...) on web databases and web forms, beyond very high-level stuff, non-existent.
    Very frustrating...

June7 is offline VIP
    Maybe the record has to be committed to table first then Refresh?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I agree that it would seem that is how it is working right now.

However, I am hoping to get it so that it displays this data prior to the record being written so that the user can validate he has chosen the right item to schedule a test for.

e.g. chose widget, review read only data, verify correct selection was made, enter data regarding test, commit new test data record.

Another reason for doing it this way, is I have several test data fields that are required to be filled out when creating a new test record. So, I cannot commit a new record after simply chosing the widget to be tested, as it would break my required field logic.

June7 is offline VIP
    Sorry, got not nothing else for this. Looks like catch-22.

Hi,
    Thanks for all your feedback.
    What do you think if I approached it differently.
    Say have one web form allow the user to select and verify the widget and it's details (basically a query of table 1 in my example). Then have a button on the form bringing the selected widget to a "test scehduling" form (which would then just bring forward the widget id field value) ?
    Seems like it may get around the refresh issue, but I am just not sure how to do it.

June7 is offline VIP
    Neither do I. That goes well beyond my experience level with web design.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.