dfelock is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Navy Help

Hey all,

So I'm trying to set up a database that can help me track some information for my department. I work in legal and I'm trying to get started with a tracker that will track both personnel that is UA (Unauthorized Absence) and a Separations Tracker that will keep track of who gets separated from the Navy and for what reasons. My main concern is the Separations Tracker. I want to able to enter the service member's last & first name, SSN, and then click some buttons which will contain the articles or basis for which they are being separated. For example, each basis is just a number i.e. 146 is Drug Abuse, but I just want it to be a bubble I can click and have it come up as something later in a report, but I won't worry about the report part now. Where should I start?

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    how much do you know about the access program? and how familiar are you with database design? those will really determine where you should start, and who should help.

btw, is there any part of the boot camp worse than the gas mask testing? and how long does that run? how many days do you go through the chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    how much do you know about the access program? and how familiar are you with database design? those will really determine where you should start, and who should help.

btw, is there any part of the boot camp worse than the gas mask testing? and how long does that run? how many days do you go through the chamber?
    I know a little bit about access, enough to create the fields and tables. The designing of the form is a bit rough for me.

There's nothing worse than the chamber, no doubt. Boot camp is about 8 weeks and you only go through the chamber once.

Quote Originally Posted by dfelock View Post
    I know a little bit about access, enough to create the fields and tables. The designing of the form is a bit rough for me.
    I can't design a form to save my life. I can write code 'til the cows come home, but that's only useful some of the time.

I would suggest attempting the form first. If you have skills more than the ability to draw stick people, throwing some controls on the form and such shouldn't be much of a problem. you can always come back here for help on coding the items, controls, etc...which is never much work if the project is small and being done by a novice.

There's nothing worse than the chamber, no doubt. Boot camp is about 8 weeks and you only go through the chamber once.
    why do you say? I watched it on the news and a few guys took the masks off and fought their way out. what does the gas to do you if you inhale it? I heard some get runny noses at the LEAST, and others get worse. which those effects are not to be mentioned here of course...

What I have so far is a table set up for the service member, includes fields of Last and First Name, SSN, and total # of offenses for their career. The next table has fields of the Offense # i.e. 126 or 144 or 152 etc, and the last field if the title of the offense, i.e. Separation by Reason of Misconduct – Civilian Conviction. Now I just don't know what to really do from here. I guess I want to build a form consisting of places to type in the name, ssn, # of offenses, and add up to 5 spots where I can make a drop down list of the offense #

I can't design a form to save my life. I can write code 'til the cows come home, but that's only useful some of the time.

I would suggest attempting the form first. If you have skills more than the ability to draw stick people, throwing some controls on the form and such shouldn't be much of a problem. you can always come back here for help on coding the items, controls, etc...which is never much work if the project is small and being done by a novice.

I'll give the form a shot here in a few....

why do you say? I watched it on the news and a few guys took the masks off and fought their way out. what does the gas to do you if you inhale it? I heard some get runny noses at the LEAST, and others get worse. which those effects are not to be mentioned here of course...
    I got a runny nose, like a faucet. When you inhale, your lungs burn, you can't take a deep breath. The harder you try to breath the harder it becomes to breath, if that makes sense. Then the you try to breath through your nose and that's when the snot starts to flow. They make you state your name and SSN and when you try to talk it just plain sucks.

sounds like you're doing fine to me. the only thing that is a little bit off is the storage of the count of offenses. that doesn't belong in a table.

but...it will be just fine if that data will never change. a lot of people, especially on forums like this, will revert to preaching normalization rules when they read about a violation in a project, being done by people like yourself (the total field would be a violation of normalization rules here, for example).

I think that's completely fine. If you're running this system yourself, and noone else is going to touch it, changing data in tables or through forms is really irrelevant, because it's a one man show.

but if you're going to use the program for any length of time, it is wise to learn the standards of operating it, which in this case would be using a form to control your data.

in your case, you need two table, if you're interested in the correct way of doing this. one for people (officers, or personnel), and one for offenses. does any of that make sense? I have a tendancy to ramble on about nothing, so hope I made at least a little sense to you!

I got a runny nose, like a faucet. When you inhale, your lungs burn, you can't take a deep breath. The harder you try to breath the harder it becomes to breath, if that makes sense. Then the you try to breath through your nose and that's when the snot starts to flow. They make you state your name and SSN and when you try to talk it just plain sucks.
    but you don't have to inhale right? only those that don't hold their breath or mess up the routine, right?

but you don't have to inhale right? only those that don't hold their breath or mess up the routine, right?
    No they make everyone say their name, rank and SSN to feel the true effects

No they make everyone say their name, rank and SSN to feel the true effects
    wow, that's mean.

oh wait, it's the navy, right? (laugh). I bet I would lose plenty of weight if I joined!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.