jlclark4 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Exclamation Auto-Fill names

Hey,

I am trying to create a form with several auto-fill options. I know it can be done, I just do not understand how. My goal is to be able to input a name and their managers automatically populate. Also, I would to be able to put in (for example) and number and its coorisponding meaning would populate. Is this possible all in one form? And if so, how can it be done?

Thanks,

Jenn

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    maybe the sample will help you figure out how to start...

Windows XP Access 2003
    That doesnt solve the auto-fill that I was looking for but I think I found a help for that. But, this does come in handy for something else I wanted to incorapate into the database. Is it possible to have something like this among standard text input fields? Does that bring me back to the coding?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Ive looked over the relationships and such in that sample you sent me but I can't figure out how you created the form to do that. Can you give me some insight on how to get started?

Quote Originally Posted by jlclark4 View Post
    Ive looked over the relationships and such in that sample you sent me but I can't figure out how you created the form to do that. Can you give me some insight on how to get started?
    the listboxes are being used the same as combo boxes are used. same concept. you will have to know how to read vba code, regardless of how you do this. cascading techniques cannot be done through the interface, code is always needed.

are you able to interpret the few lines of code in the sample?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Okay, I didn't think of looking in the code. I do not know visual basic but I have seen it before so it is not completely foreign. Could I in turn design this whose database just by code? Because all the things I need for it might be easier to design this way...

I have a reference coming in tomorrow but until then I'm trying my best to get as much done through internet source.

In the end, I am going to need a Auto-fill section in the beginning (meaning a name is selected and the corespoinding team members automatically fill in-no selection necessary), and 2 sections that mimicks your example and auto-date fill in along with standard text entry methods and drop down menus which I know how to do.

Have you ever talked to someone in Dubai? They have technology over there that can build complete blueprints of new building from code.

Yes of course it's possible. I have a mysql database with hundreds of thousands of lines of vba code that could probably build a database for you just by clicking a button, but that's really not even practical.

On the flip side, what you could do really is just post your file here and someone could do it for you. If a professional is coming tomorrow for you too, you might as well wait for him or her, because learning code can't be done in one day.

and to top it off, like I already said, building a database by code is not practical. but for humor sake, yes it can be done, and probably already has been.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I have a book coming as a resource. This is a project I'm working on for the company I work with. Thanks for the information!

michaeljohnh is offline More Human than Human
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I only breezed through this thread but it sounds like youre saying that when you make one entry, it should cause another control to populate.

Once you designate what the record source is for a form, if you add combo boxes and the wizard is on, one of the pre-defined options will be if you want it to populate other fields for you.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljohnh View Post
    if you add combo boxes and the wizard is on, one of the pre-defined options will be if you want it to populate other fields for you.
    really!? wow, I didn't know that. Okie dokie!

btw, books apparently are doing more good today than they were in the past. The workplace is so robotic now, I'm sure book reading will be more helpful than it's ever been. You don't really need to know anything anyway, unless you're the boss.

99% of us out here are told what to do.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeljohnh View Post
    I only breezed through this thread but it sounds like youre saying that when you make one entry, it should cause another control to populate.

Once you designate what the record source is for a form, if you add combo boxes and the wizard is on, one of the pre-defined options will be if you want it to populate other fields for you.

Is this a feature in 2007? I went through the form creation from scratch with the wizard on and when I added a combo box, I did not see an option for that...did I just miss it?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.