jlclark4 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Basic Questions

Hey, I have a few user questions about Access.

#1 Is it possible to protect fields once they have been submitted?
    #2 Can you set validation fields for e-mails, phone numbers, etc?

As I am working on this database I am sure I will have more questions, but if someone could help me with these it would be greatly apperciated.

Jennifer

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    hello Jennifer. welcome. what do you mean by "submitted"? created? that's about all if sounds like.

1) you can't protect fields, but other protection methods are available, which are usually created through distribution to an end user.
    2) validation criteria is set at the table level, and sometime forms. working in a table, you'll see "validation" on the bottom of the screen on one of those lines when you select any given field. that should do it.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks Adam,

When I say submit --> I am wanting to create a command button for "Submit" so users do not have to click the next arrow at the bottom. That's something else I am currently working on designing unless there is an easy way that I am just not aware of.

Would I be able to set protection to the entire database so it can not be editted but more information for the same record could be inputted? I think my best bet on that is linking two tables together so when one inputs basic information, someone else opens up another database with more fields to put comments and have the pervious linked so it auto-populates (sounds confusing but it seems like it can be done)

what's your situation Jennifer? one user? more than one?

you need to browse through the property sheet in a form, and look at all of the options. Most of them can be interpreted by looking at the names of them, and many of them are boolean returns, which basically means the settings are two: YES and NO.

in terms of a submit button, the only alternative to not using the record navs (the next arrow, as you call it), is using a line of code to scroll records. either that, or a mouse wheel.

Windows XP Access 2003
    More then one user.

User #1 would input the basic who what when why information
    User #2 would later open it up and complete more fields with the research he/she does on the case

I was trying to find a way where User #2 couldn't edit User #1's input data.

It very well could be out of Access scope.

it's not out of scope. more or less, it's a matter of semantics. you can do it many different ways.

first of all, are the users all using one machine? that's all I was getting at.

secondly, what comes to mind right now would be something like changing the availability of the form fields based on who's logged into the program. do you think you could do that?

e.g. - change the "enabled" property of them based on the user. that would do it, for sure.

Windows XP Access 2003
    The database would be on a shared network and opened from multiple machines. I already know multiple people can open and input. But only one record can be editted at a time which won't be a problem. I look into that enabling option.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.