Katrine is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Public access to database on internet

Hello

I am looking for a database program much like Access, which I haven't bought yet. Before I do, I need to know, if it is possible to put the database out on the internet for public access? What I need is not a cooperation tool, but a way of letting others take a look at the contents of my database.

(My project has to do with a big collection of artworks with pictures and info, which I want to be able to both manage and display in the internet for the public)

Hope somebody can help answering this. Thank you!

Katrine

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    First, is the project you mention a personal project or a corporate/organization project?

Access was mainly designed as a desktop application not a server based application which is generally needed for web based applications. However, Access 2010 does have the capability to integrate with Microsoft's Sharepoint product, but of course, you would need to buy Sharepoint in addition to Access. Sharepoint is designed for the corporate server environment.

I was doing some searching and did find a site called eqldata.com that can make an Access application web enabled on their server, but there is a monthly cost for that. I do not know much else about the site so you would have to do your research on that.

There are some free versions of server based relational databases such as Microsoft's SQL Server 2008 Express, MySQL and I believe Oracle has a free version of their database also. Keep in mind that these applications are for the backend (i.e. the tables/data) only; you would need to create your own front end/user interface/web pages that accesses the data in the backend. There are many software packages out there for creating your own webpages; you would just need to find those that can work with the backend you chose. Alternatively (and free), you can design your own web pages using a simple text editor using HTML code.

Katrine is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Thanks a bunch for the quick reply.

The website is a corporation project, not a personal one. I need the public to be able to look at the artwork in our collection, read the info and search the database. But not add anything.

I've checked out your link, and it looks like a good alternative to SharePoint. But with the cooperation of users in mind, not just displaying data like I need.

Thank you again. I will continue my research, this time with a little more knowledge of the possibilities :-)

Best regards Kat

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    You're welcome.

Does your corporation already have Sharepoint?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.