.:SoundWave:. is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Automatically do... everything?

Hi! I'm new here, so I'll give a quick introduction before asking my question.

I'm brand-spanking new to Access (2010 to boot), and am pretty excited since I got it this past weekend. I've created my first relational database, it's first form, a couple of macros, a couple of queries and reports based on those queries. I'm sure I've broken more than a few "This probably isn't the best way to do it..." rules, but so far everything seems to work alright. Except the stupid custom navigation buttons, but they're low on my priority list.

/uninterestingstuff

I wasn't sure which board to post this question on since it seems to touch on a bit of everything. So here it is, and I'll try to be as specific as possible:

Is there any way to let a user use a form to generate a query using a predetermined list of criteria, and then automatically generate a report from that query?

Basically what I intend for a user to be able to:
    * Open a form
    * Type or select criteria using textfields and/or combo/dropdown boxes
    * Submit the criteria
    * AccessMagically have a report open in front of them with only the table entries that match the submitted criteria

Please keep in mind that I'm pretty new to Access and databases, so I'm still pretty reliant on the GUI to 'translate' my instructions. Let me know if I need to provide more detail.

Any help with this would be awesome, and thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by .:SoundWave:. View Post
    Is there any way to let a user use a form to generate a query using a predetermined list of criteria, and then automatically generate a report from that query?
    Just a quick addendum. Actually, now that I think about it, would the form even need to generate the query at all, or could I just have the form somehow make the report after the criteria is submitted?

ConneXionLost is offline Simulacrum
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi,

In answer to your question; "Yes!"

First, your report should be getting it's data from a query. In that query, you need to set the criteria to match the text/combo boxes on your form. Try right clicking in the query criteria line and using the expression builder. Once done, then all you need do is run the report from the form (with a command button).

Cheers,

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I am wondering that SoundWave is plan to use a form to complete Access report wizard/query wizard's job (do everything the wizard can do or a simplified version).

Quote Originally Posted by ConneXionLost View Post
    Hi,

In answer to your question; "Yes!"

First, your report should be getting it's data from a query. In that query, you need to set the criteria to match the text/combo boxes on your form. Try right clicking in the query criteria line and using the expression builder. Once done, then all you need do is run the report from the form (with a command button).

Cheers,
    Sorry it took me so long to update. I was running in to a problem where for "some reason" the query would run but would just return a blank list when I was selecting criteria using the combo box. It turned out I had the Bound Column in the combo box set wrong . It's working, now.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by weekend00 View Post
    I am wondering that SoundWave is plan to use a form to complete Access report wizard/query wizard's job (do everything the wizard can do or a simplified version).
    If I'm understanding your question right, that IS the way I'd like to go.

Basically, I'm trying to make a Form that will return all record entries that were entered on a certain date in a Report. Then, I would like to be able to use a button to email that Report to multiple email addresses. Or maybe export it to a different format, like PDF. Or maybe just print it. I'm not sure on that last part yet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.