newtoAccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

need Free tutorial

I am looking for a free Access2007 tutorial?

I need lots of help.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    a tutorial for what exactly?

if you want my opinion sir, the internet is a horrible place to look for help because the info is not all in one place. as a matter of fact, I'm in the process of fixing part of that, and the solution will be on my website soon! Because I get sick of it too!

And books are even worse. The reason, IMO, is because they have to contain the irrelevant "theory" that business people don't necessarily care about to get the job done.

What I would advise, IMO again, is googling everything you get stumped on. do NOT look at MS websites (most of them). MSDN, office.com, and a few others that MS owns offer nothing, because everything on those sites, in general, is duplicated from the XML help files that you can read in every office program by pressing the F1 key! It's ridiculous. You can see this for yourself if you google one of MSDN's pages that describe a built-in function in Access, for example. Look up DCOUNT or something, pull up the page on MSDN and look at the help file in Access itself. The two are identical, verbatim.

And one more time IMO, the technical information on those websites is almost impossible to interpret by way of 'common sense'. This makes perfect sense too for 2 reasons:

1) MS was required to publish a lot of their proprietary programming information, by a court order a while back, AND

2) the general public doesn't, and will never, understand the information anyway, and MS knows this (hence, no work was put into the publishing, as it made sense not to exhaust resources on it).

This post of yours is one of the reasons I am currently changing my website...

newtoAccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks that is more than what I had.

Zero.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2000
    NewtoAccess -

You didn't say how much you know about database concepts and design, but if your knowledge in this area is limited or none, then I suggest that you not even look at Access until you have properly analyzed your data and the processes associated with it, to determine what your database should look like. One key word you need to know is "normalization".

Many of the problems people posting here are having, are the result of badly designed databases. Remember that MS Access is only a tool to help solve problems.

Good luck, and you are having problems with some of the concepts, just ask!

John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.