making specific fields non-editable

Is is possible to make specific fields non-editable in a datasheet view on a form? I have a main form that displays registration info and a subform that allows the user to choose courses that is a datasheet view. The view has two columns, an ID and a course name. I set the ID field in the subform to a drop-down that includes name and description from my Courses table, so the course name column in the data view is simply for usability to see the list of courses to which the person has registered. Can I make that second column non-editable so that a user doesn't mess anything up?

Locking the field should do what you want. You will need to open your data sheet subform in design view, select the field, properties, Locked = True. If your data sheet is not actually a subform but a table, you will need to make a datasheet form from your table and insert it as a subform on your main form. Remember, never let your users touch your underlying tables directly, thats giving them the keys to the house. Good Luck.

It is a datasheet, and your suggestion worked beautifully. Thanks for the help!

My question was somewhat related to this. I wanted a field to be uneditable. In design view I select the properties sheet and found a "Locked" and an "Enabled" yes/no selection.

Both of these seemed to do the trick when no was selected. I was curious what is the difference between enabled and locked?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.