FadingAPE is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Linking Database to Website

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any information at all on how to link my database up to a website. I work for a medical centre and I want people to be able to log in and use the intranet online. I think this involves setting up a PHP page on my website. I have a good knowledge of microsoft acces and an ok knowledge of using html. Can anyone give me any advice on how to link these two together or point me in the direction of any websites that offer information.

Thanks
    FA

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    what kind of BE technology are you using? are you running your data on Apache or IIS servers? from what I understand, that plays a huge part in how compatible your scripts are. Personally, I don't think it really matters, as both servers can handle languages outside of their native requirements or "preferences" (for instance, you can run PHP scripts on Microsoft's IIS servers).

Aside from all of that though, do you want to use Access as a BE or a FE? Using it as a BE is not done very often, and I think for good reason, as Access can't handle data requirements, if you compare it to the likes of MySQL or SQL Server. Have you looked into Sharepoint? I have never used it, and I personally don't like it, but it's extremely popular in business right now (in the US). And I believe 2010 has a built-in feature with Sharepoint, and even web-based forms.

If you go the PHP route and set up Access with MySQL, it will be a more difficult task than using MS technologies. You can set the package up any number of ways, from linking sources to the FE interface, or even using a file DSN to dynamically link.

Regardless though, keep in mind that PHP and MS Access are not really related, and the 2 are most likely not used together very often. More common, is a FE/BE setup with IIS and the use of ASP or ASP.net because those technologies are owned by Microsoft.

FadingAPE is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you for replying. I have a few questions more questions for you if you don't mind. I will probably be running on IIS Servers however I'm not 100% confident on setting this up in the work place - is it possible that I could mess something up by setting it up? When you ask what sort of BE technology i'll be using what do you mean? Back End? I am using Access - I am going to take a look at Sharepoint - thatnks for letting me know about that.

Thanks again for the info.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FadingAPE View Post
    Thank you for replying. I have a few questions more questions for you if you don't mind. I will probably be running on IIS Servers however I'm not 100% confident on setting this up in the work place - is it possible that I could mess something up by setting it up? When you ask what sort of BE technology i'll be using what do you mean? Back End? I am using Access - I am going to take a look at Sharepoint - thatnks for letting me know about that.

Thanks again for the info.
    :laugh: at "mess something up". Umm...YES, ALWAYS. Right? You can mess it up 99% out of a 100 times, as most of us do anyway.

Sharepoint is basically a server itself (I think), which is why business think it's so great. But if you already have investments made in MS technology, which most large corporations do, Sharepoint is essentially free, even if it does linger at the lower end of "quality". My bias is showing now. Personally, my feelings about MS's work is that it was good back when Bill Gates was passionate, but once he became a corporate guru, the software took a back seat. But of course that's normal with anyone who builds a business on passion.

As a side note too, that completely reminds me of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. New Line Cinema was a no-name company and Wes Craven was too, until Freddy was created. Then New Line was bought by the conglomorates in Hollywood and it started distributing crap because the politics started destroying the creativity. But it's inevitable anyway.

Aside from my little tangent though...no you can't mess things up, not likely with MS because the company's products havce become, more or less, software for dummies. But the best money makers in this country use them, so it's still wise to do it.

I think your chances of "messing things up", as you put it, could be maxed out if you started tinkering with loosely typed languages like PHP and Javascript. I'm in love with them, personally because they are creative and tough to learn. But as far as having a place in "big business", it might have to settle for the backseat for awhile. At any rate though, I'm sure you'll be fine regardless of what you do.

NTC is offline VIP
    based on your post, in general; it sounds like you need a web solution. There are several environments to consider. .Net/ASP being one of them. The LAMP stack being another. Access2010 with Sharepoint offers one approach also. The Sharepoint can be a hosted service if you don't want to purchase and run sharepoint internally.

Mistafreeze is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    We are using SharePoint 2010 as our web solution. I wanted to correct one thing that was stated earlier. While SharePoint Foundation 2010 is indeed free, to be able to use the Access Services and upload your database to SharePoint, you need SharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise....which, unfortunetly, is far from free.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.