pcbrush is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Table loads too slowly

Hi, first time forum user here. Using Access 2007 with 2000 file format. Been using it for several years and never a problem. Just installed on new laptop and my database loads fine but the objects, i.e. table, query, etc. take forever (3 or 4 minutes) to open. Also, sorting and other functionality within the table takes long. Tried unstalling/reinstalling, checked options, can't figure out why this is happening. Only thing different from past is laptop came with Windows 7 whereas I use XP on desktop and previous laptop. I noticed there is a 1kb locked file info file. Never saw that before, maybe it has something to do with it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

the little file with the lock system is automatically created when u open an access database, it contains user, locking, ... information about the cutrrent database. This has been so since Access 2.0.

Some things you can try to speed it up:

• compact/repair the database
    • If the database is a front end/back-end application? Then you can check the connection speed to the back-end database
    • convert to 2007 file format
    • make a new database and import all objects from the old database in the new one.

hope one of these helps

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoellaG View Post
    Hi,

the little file with the lock system is automatically created when u open an access database, it contains user, locking, ... information about the cutrrent database. This has been so since Access 2.0.

Some things you can try to speed it up:

• compact/repair the database
    • If the database is a front end/back-end application? Then you can check the connection speed to the back-end database
    • convert to 2007 file format
    • make a new database and import all objects from the old database in the new one.

hope one of these helps
    Thank you for the reply. I'm not an advanced user and I don't know what is meant by front end/back end. I just know the basic functionality of Access. I like your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I converted to 2007 and did the repair/compact and importining into a 2007 database; nothing worked. Not familiar with the front end/back end suggestion. I wonder if it is a Windows 7 issue. There is another post here today with a similar issue with W7. Hopefully MS will have a patch. Any other ideas are really appreciated.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    check to see if there are long delays in opening Word docs or excel docs. since it is a new laptop I will presume that you have gobs of RAM.

if I understand you correctly; you can open the db file - but when you go to open any/every single table - - it is taking up to 3 minutes to open? ....that is clearly not functionally correct - something is wrong.

make a brand new db, make 1 table, with 1 or two fields...and one or two records. close. does this take 3 minutes to reopen?

Windows 7 Access 2007

Smile Problem resolved

Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    check to see if there are long delays in opening Word docs or excel docs. since it is a new laptop I will presume that you have gobs of RAM.

if I understand you correctly; you can open the db file - but when you go to open any/every single table - - it is taking up to 3 minutes to open? ....that is clearly not functionally correct - something is wrong.

make a brand new db, make 1 table, with 1 or two fields...and one or two records. close. does this take 3 minutes to reopen?
    Lo and behold a message appeared when I tried opening Access that there was some kind of incompatability going on. I followed the instructions to correct it and now the dabatases work fine. Thanks to all for your help.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Any chance you could supply us with more details on the error and the corrections needed? It would sure help others that might read this thread. You could then use the Solved thread tool to mark this thread.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    First - I feel like an idiot. I followed the link for 'solved' but when started to post the reply, I didn't see the drop down menu for thread tools. I just notice one of the replies here says problem solved. I am brand new to this forum so I'm unfamiliar with it.
    Second - I believe I was on the desktop when a message appeared in a small window saying something about the database not being compatable with something else. I followed the instructions to correct it and after that the dababase and tables are functioning fine.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. If it happens again, I post a note. thanks.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Thanks for trying anyway. Welcome to the Forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.