nmcentire is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Odbc connection to 'datasourcename' failed

I am working with Sage Timberline Software and using an ODBC databse link to Access. I have 5 data sources coming from timberline. Everthing links up fine when I first open it up and will continue to work fine unless I let it sit idle for too long or I am in design mode for too long. Access will then drop the connection and not allow me to reconnect. I get the "Odbc connection to 'Timberline Data Source' failed" message and have to close Access down completely and open it up again. This is become annoying. Any suggestions?

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You can check your Tools->Options->Advanced tab in MSAccess (non-2007 - not sure where this option is in 2007) and see if there is a time-out set under that setting for ODBC (ie. ODBC Refresh interval). I believe if you set this to 1500 (the default) or 0, this might help.

Otherwise, when you linked the Timberline tables, make sure you've checked the 'Save Password' box when you link. There might be a password to the Timberline db/within the ODBC and if you don't click 'Save Password' when linking, it could be timing-out due to this.

How did you create the ODBC? Is this using a special ODBC driver for the Timberline db? If so, I'd see if there is a new driver available. If not, you can try creating the ODBC again or possibly see if something network-wise is dropping your connection to the drive where the Timberline db is located. If possible, try copying the Timberline db to your local drive and then configure the ODBC.

Typically when you create a normal ODBC DSN, there isn't a 'time-out'. If you're using a special ODBC driver for the Timberline db, I'd look into any special configuration that might be needed for using that driver.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.