DSTR3 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Access Application

I have a multi-user Access 2002 application. 300 unbound forms, lots of SQL, no macros, no queries, about 30 modules and about 200 reports. I want this application to be independent of Access (eventually) and to work on XP Pro, Windows 7 and up. Also want to eventually integrate some web access to it. What direction should I take to be ahead or at least with the curve instead of dragging Access 2002 from one year to the next. Every year I'm feeling more and more dated, Should I go to C++? Use SQL server? VB6 ?, VB.net? Completely lost. Any direction appreiated.
    Thank You.
    DS

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

what you want to use depends greatly on how you 'd like to work, and how many hours you want to spend learning a new programming language.
    For myself I have always liked to work with Omnis Studio. It's a complete independant platform, and the same app can be used on a PC, Linux or Apple environment. You have a choice of different databases you can link to Omnis: SQL server, Oracle, MySQL, .... even Access tables.
    So if you want to go Microsoft/platform independant it's a great programming interface, 100% object orientated.

http://www.tigerlogic.com/tigerlogic...udio/index.jsp

But maybe you'd rather fancy working with JAVA, or C#, or .net. Only VB6 I wouldn't recommend. It's to old, and I don't think Microsoft supports it anymore.

As a back-end I prefer Oracle, but that's rather expensive. SQL server is a great database, and of course mySQL is free... .
    So you see, a lot of great choices there.

Maybe you can look at which platforms are used for the other apps in your company, and ask the IT manager some advice.

gr
    NG

DSTR3 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Wow, this looks rather interesting! I will download and play with it. Just one thing how much does it cost? I couldn't find pricing anywhere. Thank you.
    DS

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    You don't mention tables. If there are 300 unbound forms, 30 modules and lots of sql (but no queries); then it was maybe written by a visual programmer that was only using Access for its inherent table capability, which is easier than managing arrays. Form creation in Visual was very similar to Access while report creation relied upon Crystal Reports - and so Access wasn't a bad 'sister' development environment for the visual developer. I've seen this before.

Fundamentally you have an oldish client/server app in a part visual / part Access environment.

Where you take it really depends on what environment you want to standardize on. Recreating 300 forms, recreating 200 reports, plus reverse engineering & rewriting 30 modules is an extremely large task regardless of the development environment you choose.

Probably the path of least resistance is to migrate it forward up to Access2010 and then into a RunTime - this will give you the OS independence that you seek; and also Access independence in terms of the end user needing to have the Access license. A form is a form - and they wouldn't know that it is an Access made form vs a .Net form.

One can move into web enable capability via Access2010 with Sharepoint hosting. It isn't a panacea, and requires some research. A hybrid of both client/server (which you have now) and web based is always a little tricky in terms of sharing the common backend data. On the otherhand porting an application this big to any web based solution is going to be monumental as well. In fact other perfectly good development environments may be fine when in a virgin situation; but if it means a total rewrite - then that is pretty hard to undertake; and so in a way you have a 'sunk cost' in visual/access and migrating forward in this same environment is probably the consideration vs a total rewrite.

hope this helps a little.

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    I think the standard development version is free, you just have to registrate. However the users do need a users license, the price depending on which modules u want to use (web/module apps, which DAM's ect....), how many simultaneously users, ..... Best contact a retailer in your country.

gr
    NG

DSTR3 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002
    I have 162 tables. Thank you for the info, I'm going to play with converting to 2010 in the meantime and see what breaks.
    DS

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.