Is there a template out there that I should start with?

Hi there -

I just started learning how to use MS Access today in a effort to greatly simplify a report I need to run every two weeks, and I'm wondering if someone knows of a template I could use as a starting point.

Here's my situation... I'm currently running a report using a system I've inherited, one that's really inefficient. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I populate with data from three other Excel spreadsheets... copying & pasting the information over so the calculations can be made.

The purpose of the report is to determine if volunteer workers have completed the training courses they need to take before we can let them work for us.

The report consists of a field for each worker, with tables for the following:

- Full Name
    - Worker's ID
    - Their Manager
    - Course A (simple Y/N)
    - Course B (simple Y/N)
    - Course C (simple Y/N)
    - Course D (simple Y/N)
    - Course E (simple Y/N)
    - All Courses Completed? (simple Y/N)

The final table is used to calculate the percentage of workers who have completed all of the courses.

The data comes from the three spreadsheets - the first spreadsheet contains tables with the Name, ID, and Manager data (there's actually more data tables than that, but this is all we need). The second contains tables with the ID and completion data for courses A-C, and the third has tables with ID and completion data for courses D & E.

I'd love it if there was already a template out there that I could start with... if not, I'll just dig in and figure out how to build it from the ground up!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re: Is there a template out there that I should start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Kebab
    Hi there -

I just started learning how to use MS Access today in a effort to greatly simplify a report I need to run every two weeks, and I'm wondering if someone knows of a template I could use as a starting point.

Here's my situation... I'm currently running a report using a system I've inherited, one that's really inefficient. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I populate with data from three other Excel spreadsheets... copying & pasting the information over so the calculations can be made.

The purpose of the report is to determine if volunteer workers have completed the training courses they need to take before we can let them work for us.

The report consists of a field for each worker, with tables for the following:

- Full Name
    - Worker's ID
    - Their Manager
    - Course A (simple Y/N)
    - Course B (simple Y/N)
    - Course C (simple Y/N)
    - Course D (simple Y/N)
    - Course E (simple Y/N)
    - All Courses Completed? (simple Y/N)

The final table is used to calculate the percentage of workers who have completed all of the courses.

The data comes from the three spreadsheets - the first spreadsheet contains tables with the Name, ID, and Manager data (there's actually more data tables than that, but this is all we need). The second contains tables with the ID and completion data for courses A-C, and the third has tables with ID and completion data for courses D & E.

I'd love it if there was already a template out there that I could start with... if not, I'll just dig in and figure out how to build it from the ground up!

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    You will probably want a schema that is something like this:

Table: Workers
    WorkerID (PK)
    WorkerFName
    WorkerLName
    ManagerID (WorkerID of the manager)
    <other personal info as needed>

Table: Courses
    CourseID (PK)
    CourseTitle
    CourseDescr
    IsRequired

Table: WorkerCourses
    EntryID (PK)
    WorkerID
    CourseID
    DateCompleted

You may need additional tables/fields--you know your business better than I do. But that basic structure should allow you to report on who has taken what, and when.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.