Pgill is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Updating my databases

Hi everyone,

I have created a database that I wish to hand out to people. I also have the same database as a Masterbase which I work on to add new items such as reports, forms etc....

What I would like to know is: Is there a way other than importing items using the built-in "Import" function that I can use to update the other peoples databases?

It would be nice if I could creat some sort of install file or something that when they recieve the file in email, they could run it and their own copy of the database will be upgraded with the new reports and forms etc....

Any help will be greatly appreciated very much.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The most common setup would be to split the application into a front/back end, and you simply replace their front end with the new one.

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Pgill is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Thanks Pbaldy, I was hoping that I would not have to go that way..... I was hoping that someone would tell me to download an update installer o something Oh well, if this is the case, then I must stick to the hard way.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgill View Post
    Thanks Pbaldy, I was hoping that I would not have to go that way..... I was hoping that someone would tell me to download an update installer o something Oh well, if this is the case, then I must stick to the hard way.
    Actually an update installer would be the hard way. All you need for the frontend update is to give the user a self-extracting zip file which can then unzip the file to the location they want. And if you include some relinking code (like that from Access MVP Armen Stein here:
    http://www.jstreettech.com/files/JSt...ssRelinker.zip
    ) then it would be much easier to implement than trying to deal with updating objects directly in the database.

Pgill is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the reply.... Are you talking about splitting the base to a frontend and a backend? My base is a standalone base which each person has his own copy.... It is a treasure hunters base to record finds.
    My idea was to put the update onto my website where they could download the file, run it and their base would be upgraded with all the latest features.

I guess it is not so easy to do an update in the way I was wanting.... I have taken a copy of the base for the relinking, and I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    Actually an update installer would be the hard way. All you need for the frontend update is to give the user a self-extracting zip file which can then unzip the file to the location they want. And if you include some relinking code (like that from Access MVP Armen Stein here:
    http://www.jstreettech.com/files/JSt...ssRelinker.zip
    ) then it would be much easier to implement than trying to deal with updating objects directly in the database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.