Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cnstarz is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

inserting CAC digital signature into form or table

does anyone know of a way of adding digital signatures to a form or table? my dilemma is this:

we issue out badges to people based on their clearance. if someone has a Top Secret Clearance, they get a green badge. If they don't have a TS Clearance, then they get a Red Badge. When we issue out badges, we take their CAC from them to hold in place of the badge in case they never return the badge, and we have them sign out the badge # in a paper log. I wanna get rid of the paper log and replace it with something digital if possible.

What I'm wanting is an Access table that can hold their digital signature from their CAC. They insert their card into the CAC Reader, type in their pin and press enter, done. Access inserts their digital signature into to the table and locks the record so that editing of that particular record cannot be possible.

Anyone know of a way to implement this?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    assuming that digital signature is an image file; I must admit it isn't a scenario that I'm directly experienced with. Generally image files are recommended stored outside the db, and then linked to - not stored in the db itself.....

There is an OLE Object field type possible in a table and it might make sense in your case. I would suggest your research this field type some more as a starting point....

Sorry not to be more helpful on this one at the moment.

cnstarz is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    nope, a digital signature isn't an image file. it's a PKI certificate stored on the CAC card that ensures integrity and non-repudiation of a file. when you enter your CAC pin, you store the digital signature certificate on whatever document it is that you're signing. once the digital signature has been added to the document, the document (in this case, record) cannot be modified or changed. this ensures the integrity of the document, or record. it also ensures non-repudiation; that is, the person who digitally signed the document or record cannot deny that he signed it because only he knows the PIN to his CAC card. more info here, http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...9RJO6A&cad=rja

i know there's at least a way to scan the barcode on the back of the CAC card to store information about the user, but i dont know how that works. i'll have to do more research on that topic. if anyone has any experience with DoD CACs, any help is appreciated.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    in terms of Access; one has tables, which have fields, which must in turn be of a select list of field types (text, number, date/time, OLEobject, Hyperlink, etc).

a value (digital signature or whatever) must be in a field, in a table, and thus be of one of those field types.

no value, in a table, locks or prevents any record from being changed in an Access database. it is only a question of whether or not a digital signature 'value' can be entered into a field - and thus one must determine the correct field type.

barcodes are fundamentally text or number data; the barcode scanner merely takes the place of the keyboard for more efficient entry of the value which is an alphanumeric value. this is fairly common with Access or any database.

salterwm is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    did you ever find a way to ad CAT Signature to a form?

wkeeth is offline Novice
    I'm interested, too. I am the program manager for airfield driving training at my installation. In my job, I have to issue out Certificates of Competency for airfield driving, which require a valid signature. I'm in the process of creating a database to handle all forms, etc. related to airfield driving, but I have only found information on adding a digital signature to a complete database, and not individual signatures for reports. (The Certificates of Competency are set up as a report generated from a query.)

So, to repeat salterwm's question: Did you ever find a was to ad a CAC digital signature to a form, report, query, or table? Any information on making this possible would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    We have a similar system where I work that lets us read barcodes straight into Access. It's actually pretty simple!

There really aren't any special steps that need to be taken to get the data from the device into Access because computers generally treat input from these devices just like input from a keyboard (in fact, if you plug the card reader into your computer, open Word, and then swipe your card, it'll "type" your PKI key straight into Word).

Because devices like this send the data straight through STDIN, meaning you can treat it just like keyboard input. So, all you should need to do is have a Form that starts out with the proper Control selected (where PKI should go) and then set it's After Update Event to save the Record in the DB.

wkeeth is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawb View Post
    We have a similar system where I work that lets us read barcodes straight into Access. It's actually pretty simple!

There really aren't any special steps that need to be taken to get the data from the device into Access because computers generally treat input from these devices just like input from a keyboard (in fact, if you plug the card reader into your computer, open Word, and then swipe your card, it'll "type" your PKI key straight into Word).

Because devices like this send the data straight through STDIN, meaning you can treat it just like keyboard input. So, all you should need to do is have a Form that starts out with the proper Control selected (where PKI should go) and then set it's After Update Event to save the Record in the DB.
    Thanks for replying, Rawb.

This sounds good, but I should say that we don't swipe our cards here (i.e. it's not read off a magnetic stripe or anything). We have card readers that read an electronic chip off the card. Does the same principle apply, even though there's no "swiping"?

Also, what control would I use on the form to insert the PKI key? And can I get the signature/PKI to replicate on a related report? (I'm using Access 2010.)

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    The principle should be the same. The best way to check though would be to plug one of the readers into a computer (and install any relevant drivers of course). Then you can just open Word (or Notepad) and then scan a card.

If you get a bunch of characters, then it's working. Even if the characters look like gibberish,which they likely will if you're using some sort of key system - those deal in mostly binary data.

As for Access, all you need is a regular Text input Control that has focus when the Form is Opened and an "On Update" Event that writes the field to the database. You won't need any APIs, ActiveX Controls, or anything else fancy.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Also: The act of scanning the card will write the data straight into the Text Control - which will trigger the "On Update" Event.

If you want to use encryption (which I would strongly encourage) or if the data on the card is binary, you will want to make sure a Text Field can store the data without corruption. If it can't, then you'll need to use a Memo Field.

wkeeth is offline Novice
    Also: The act of scanning the card will write the data straight into the Text Control - which will trigger the "On Update" Event.

If you want to use encryption (which I would strongly encourage) or if the data on the card is binary, you will want to make sure a Text Field can store the data without corruption. If it can't, then you'll need to use a Memo Field.
    The principle should be the same. The best way to check though would be to plug one of the readers into a computer (and install any relevant drivers of course). Then you can just open Word (or Notepad) and then scan a card.

If you get a bunch of characters, then it's working. Even if the characters look like gibberish,which they likely will if you're using some sort of key system - those deal in mostly binary data.

As for Access, all you need is a regular Text input Control that has focus when the Form is Opened and an "On Update" Event that writes the field to the database. You won't need any APIs, ActiveX Controls, or anything else fancy.
    Thanks again for the new responses. I do have some more questions for you:

1) Access 2010 apparently does not have an "On Update" event. It has the following events listed:
    -On Click
    -On Got Focus
    -On Lost Focus
    -On Dbl Click
    -On Mouse Down
    -On Mouse Up
    -On Mouse Move
    -On Key Down
    -On Key Up
    -On Key Press
    -On Enter
    -On Exit

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the best way to enable this control would be with the "On Click" event. Your thoughts?

2) By "scanning", I assume you mean scanning the image of the back of the card (has the barcodes, etc. that are read) into a scanner and saving the image. Is this correct? Or is there some command in Access that takes a "digital scan" of the PKI?

Thanks again, Rawb. This relative noob sincerely appreciates the help!

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Sorry, you're right. I meant "After Update"

wkeeth is offline Novice
    Sorry, you're right. I meant "After Update"
    Um...."After Update"? I don't see that particular event listed in any of the events in the Properties field... Am I missing something here?

wkeeth is offline Novice
    OOPS! Sorry...Just found the "After Update" in the Expression Builder.

Any idea what kind of syntax I should use?

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I'm not sure what you're asking. . .

The "After Update" Event can be set to do whatever you want. If it were me though...
    • The user scans their card
    • the system takes the key and enters it into the Text Control of the "Key Form"
    • The "PIN Form" pops up asking for the user's PIN
    • The user types in their PIN and hits [ENTER]
    • The system looks up the user based on their key and compares the PINs
      • If the key is found and PIN matches, a "success" Record is written to the database
      • If the key is found but the PIN doesn't match, a "failed attempt" Record is written - allow only so many attempts before sending an alert somewhere via E-mail/whatever
      • If the key isn't found, a "no match" Record is written and someone alerted that the card is no longer working

• The PIN Form closes
    • The Key Form is wiped clean and ready for the next attempt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.