radicrains is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Is it possible for me to count my records? how?

All these times, my posting has been about me trying to create a database.. This is because I'm suppose to create this database as my Internship Project..

For now, i wanna know is it possible for us to COUNT our records.. If u refer to the picture attached(End product), I need to know the count values for the number of drawings being issued to each DrawingNo..

So far when i tried to query, it only gives me the Field count records.. But what i Need is Access to count the ROWS and not COLUMNS..

So is it possible for me to count the revision drawings on rows?

I really hope there's a way for me to do this, I'm still new to Microsoft Acces, so guide me.. Thanks..

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    is the column in RED the one that you have now, but don't want?

the function to count rows is COUNT(). or, DCOUNT(). a row count can be obtained by using either of those functions.

as a side note as well, storing your projects in each column like that is how you would do it in Excel. It is a common misconception that people have. Those projects should be in a separate table, listed DOWN in rows, and a relationship established between your current table in the picture and the new 'projects' table.

That is basically why Access was created. The relationship concept eliminates the need to list items horizontally, like in Excel.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    is the column in RED the one that you have now, but don't want?

the function to count rows is COUNT(). or, DCOUNT(). a row count can be obtained by using either of those functions.
    The column in red is the result that i want to achieve in my query.. And if I'm not mistaken, COUNT() only works along the column(vertically) and not horizontally..

Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    as a side note as well, storing your projects in each column like that is how you would do it in Excel. It is a common misconception that people have. Those projects should be in a separate table, listed DOWN in rows, and a relationship established between your current table in the picture and the new 'projects' table.

That is basically why Access was created. The relationship concept eliminates the need to list items horizontally, like in Excel.

Ok, i'm a lil slow on this. But if my understanding is correct, what you're trying to say is that for each of my DrawingNo, i need to do it on a new project?

& i thought the relationship concepts only help us to enforce the integrity by tally-ing the information and updating/Deleting our query..

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by radicrains View Post
    The column in red is the result that i want to achieve in my query.. And if I'm not mistaken, COUNT() only works along the column(vertically) and not horizontally..
    you need a function to analyze data horizontally in a query. See this function: http://www.ajenterprisesonline.com/_...me=SumOfFields

That'll give yo the necessary code you need to analyze horizontally. that sums field values, but you can change it to do anything you want.

[QUOTE=radicrains;36517 Ok, i'm a lil slow on this. But if my understanding is correct, what you're trying to say is that for each of my DrawingNo, i need to do it on a new project?..[/QUOTE]

yep! in your type of db, the ideal situation would be a table for projects and a table for related drawings. 1 project = multiple drawings. If this is an assignment for an internship and you're essentially auditioning for a fulltime job in the technology department, google some articles on 'normalization'. Database software is built on that concept, just like a tier structure in a large corporation. The two are basically the same in terms of structure.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Yup, Hey thanks for the link! It was pretty hard for me to understand your version of programming because i didnt know what was the output of SumOfField(........, ........), but with trial and error here and there, and re-re-re-re-reading ur programs, i've manage to get it right! heh..

Anyway, regarding your advise, I've decided to change my structure.. thanks again..

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.