Sarge, USMC is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

table records/forms

Is there a way to get select records over to a series of forms? I have a master table. Data comes into the master table on an Excel import and trickles down to the forms I have created. Data also comes to the master table entered manually via the forms directly. This is player registration data for a sports club.
    I have it setup this way because at this time there are multiple sources of registration data.......online data that comes to me in a CSV export as well as hard copy forms where the data has to be entered manually.
    I'd like the master table to be linked to forms created for each age group, and to have those forms populated with the appropriate records from the master table. Does that make sense? Is there a way to do that?

.........take it eezee on me......I'm a newb........

Semper Fi,

Sarge

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    You can have as many forms as you like with the same table/query as the RecordSource. I would use a query and simply filter it based on age for the various forms. I actually see no particular reason to have more than one form, but that's your decision.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Well the Manager of the program would get the "base" form, which would have all the data from every player in the program. The age specific "sub" forms would be for the individual coordinators for each age group.

So a query can be setup to "sift thru" all the records in the master table and pull out only the ones I want? So I would need a query for each age group then?

What do I need to do with the master table to allow the data to be sifted thru......does the field I want to use as the filter need to be indexed??

I just slapped together a basic query. I don't see how to make it do what you suggest...........

Indexing speeds up the process a bit. Either a separate query or a dynamic "WhereCondition" for your query.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I appreciate your help. The field I'd like to sort by is indeed indexed.

Would you care to explain how to do what you suggest? Here or perhaps in PM?

I would start with separate queries and simply switch the RecordSource as needed. Have you played with the query builder and tried to create at least one of the queries you need?

Windows XP Access 2003
    waitaminnit! I'm sneekin' up onnit here......I have the query open in design view and I have all the fields I need from the records added to the query.....under the field I want to sort by, I've added the "criteria" and I get a query that displays all the records from the table that meet the criteria! Underneath the criteria field is a field labeled "or".......what/how would I use that?

You can list the same field more than once in your query and the check box determines if it is displayed. If your "Criteria" is on the same line in each field, it is an AND. If you put the "Criteria" on a different line (row) then it will be an OR.

Windows XP Access 2003
    SWEET! It's getting good to me...........can I setup a single query to pull records from different tables??

If those tables have a relationship.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Rats.......I'm reading about relationships here......the records I want to query from multiple tables are different in both. That is to say, there are no matching records between the 2 tables. Specifically:

1 table is for the kids that want to play indoors only and one is for the ones that want to play indoors and outdoors. The query needs to pull everyone from the indoors only table and the ones tagged for both in the other table into a single query that I can use to create a "roster" of the ones who want to play indoors with.

As long as you do not want to modify the roster you can use a UNION Query.

Windows XP Access 2003
    That wouldn't work, as the whole deal is a work in progress. As kids register, they have to be added to the DB, and their info needs to go to the proper tables, forms or queries.

Any other ideas on how to do what I need to do?

I see you replied in the wee hours of the morning....don't you sleep up there in the mountains?

It sounds like they should all be in one table with separate fields for Indoors and outdoors.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I thought about that. With registration data coming from multiple sources, I can't go that way. Manual data entry from hard copy registrations would be no problem, but the problem lies with importing the data exported from the online reg system.

Obviously I'm trying to do this as simple as possible with minimal data entry, moving towards all electronic registration.

Can you think of any other way to do it?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.