shilchey is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Time Limit to a database/limiting # of entries

I've worked in aerospace manufacturing quality systems and auditing for years and I have developed a access database system that has really benefited companies to save a lot of money. I would like to allow companies to use the one I have developed for free and integrate it into their system.

That being said, after they have inputted so many records, I would like the database to max out and remind them that they have to pay for it (they would already be aware of this upfront) if it's working for them.

Is there any way that once the primary key field (autonumber) has reached a certain point it will not allow them to enter any new records? Or, perhaps I could limit the date of entry (mm/dd/yyyy) to not go beyond six months or so?

I think it would be easier to let them try it out and decide rather than having to commit upfront. Do you have any recommendations?

Obviously, I would have to limit access to the navigational pane so they can't edit queries, tables, etc. Controls will be limited to what is in the switchboard. Any recommendations?

michaeljohnh is offline More Human than Human
    Windows XP Access 2007
    From a coding point of view there are many ways to accomplish what you are asking. From an operational (company operations that is) point of view, it doesnt sound like such a great model.

Basically, you are asking a company to enter live data in a potentially temporary system. Training, reduced productivity, errors and other expenses associated with learning a new system are not insubstantial. Im uncertain if companies would want to do that.

Having said that, the Date() command returns the current date. In the OnLoad event for the forms, place a command that looks to see if the current date is a given period of days after the begining of the trial. So there would need to be the first day of the trial period stored in a field somewhere. If the current date exceeds the period defined by the calculation, a command that closes the database executes.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.